Sign in to follow this  

Gaming or Graphics 3D engine?

This topic is 3860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Been looking around at some game engines. I want to create an app that would allow you to load a mesh, then manipulate it (vertex manipulation) then connect another mesh, realtime render with physics and cloth simulations. Also want to have some environment to animate the boned mesh in the same app (realitime). I'm seeing alot of gaming engines you can buy as a basis (leaning towards C4) but would a gaming engine be the way to go or would engines like OGRE be best? If more information is needed please let me know and I'll describe more detail of what is needed. Thanks in advance!

As the title of you post indicates, OGRE is a graphics engine only. A game engine is usually a collection of techonolgies required by a game. Those techs can or should be anything that can be used in more than one game. Things like input, networking, graphics, physics, AI/pathfinding, math implementations, etc... Likewise most game engines come with tools that speed up game production.

Unreal is game engine IMHO. Most indies cannot afford a comprehensive game engine so the peice things together from open source and other less exspensive projects. Example being Bullet or ODE for phyisics with OGRE would make a powerful and low cost combination.

Edit: not trying to bust you or anything but most people dont like it when you cross post the same thread

Hi,

Sorry.

Yeah posted here then realized this prolly wasn't the best place but I couldn't remember how to cancel and forgot about it.

Sorry everyone. Let me know my penance and I will pay.

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum.

Thanks for the info BTW.

This topic is 3860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.