Gaming or Graphics 3D engine?

Started by
4 comments, last by dada222 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi, Been looking around at some game engines (Torque, C4, OGRE, etc). I want to create an app that would allow you to load a mesh, then manipulate it (vertex manipulation) then connect another mesh, realtime render with physics and cloth simulations. Also want to have some environment to animate the boned mesh in the same app (realitime). Yeah I know it's going to take forever ... I'm seeing alot of gaming engines you can buy as a basis (leaning towards C4) but would a gaming engine be the way to go or would engines like OGRE be best? If more information is needed please let me know and I'll describe more detail of what is needed. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Well a graphics engine is only going to do the graphics for you - you'll have to integrate it with a separate physics engine (or write the physics part yourself).

If you want the graphics and physics in the one package, you're looking for a complete game engine.

BTW what kind of vertex manipulation are you planning on doing? It's advisable to do most vertex manipulation with shaders these days instead of manually doing it on the CPU.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me!

I think I'm stuck with vert manip (may need little more explaination of how shaders can repalce vert manip) ...

I essentially want to create a template mesh (for example a tree) and manipulate for example the circumference of the tree, the height, number of braches and their lengths, etc (still trying to decide if vert manip will stretch texture/ texture mapping to the point I need realtime texture/ texture mapping auto adjuster ... ugghh).

Then (with the click of button) pop that tree into a realtime rending environment which applies gravity so banches bend downward and wind blows them around.

Along with gravity a realtime cloth sim which would allow one to for example throw a giant blanket over top of tree and have it drape (deform) to shape of tree and be affected by wind (animate the bones).

The meshes will be high poly count for most realism but that is ok because there will be very few polys in general.

I don't need any terrain/sky/etc editor, really. Most of the 3D environ will be limited to very small area made up of minimal objects but of high poly count.

This will be a stand alone app which is guess is a combination modeller and game all in one.

Making any sense?

Whatcha think?

Well, if you want to create tree meshes from a base mesh I recommend you do it before you start rendering, since the actual meshes will not change afterwards. You could also look into fractals and stuff for this.

"The meshes will be high poly count for most realism but that is ok because there will be very few polys in general."

What do you mean? It's highpoly but lowpoly?
- Well, if you want to create tree meshes from a base mesh I recommend you do
- it before you start rendering, since the actual meshes will not change
- afterwards. You could also look into fractals and stuff for this.

Hmmm I knew the tree mesh was going to confuse the task ...

Take for example a cylinder with gridding of 20 on long axis and 20 on diameter. Now use the code to grab one vertex from the top edge and pull out some vertices (3DSMax has a magnetic vertex mover such that vertices next to the one you are pulling get moved an amount based on the distance from one vertice for example). Now pull out from the center to give it love handles or whatever.

So now you have an little arm above and some love handles in center. Throw a cloth over object, turn on some gravity/wind and the little arm/handle get deformed down and blows around as does the cloth (realtime rendered).

It's essentially a EXTREMELY stripped down Maya/3DSMax with realtime rendering of gravity/cloth/deformation.

BUT then if I don't like the shape I want to modify it and have it rendered on the fly while modifying it (i.e. gravity still on ... different requirement from what I posted previously).

It's a big big challege I know. May not even be possible I know but it would be very very nice if it works.

- "The meshes will be high poly count for most realism but that is ok because
- there will be very few polys in general."
- What do you mean? It's highpoly but lowpoly?

Sorry that should have read high polygon count meshes but very few objects in the scene.
Irrlicht engine can easily do that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement