Sign in to follow this  
rudithekid

MDX: Extrusion of specified profile

Hello, I am using Managed Direct X with C#. For my project I generate lines and curves in a room. I want to extrude a specified profile along the specified lines and curves. Can anyone help.

There isn't anything in D3DX that will extrude arbitrary geometry like you seem to want. Consequently this becomes a regular graphics/geometry question more suitable to the 'Graphics Programming & Theory' forum - moved [smile]

Some more details about what you're trying to achieve might be useful. I can't quite visualise what you're describing; do you mean defining a floor-plan of the room (e.g. a line on the floor represents a wall) and then extrude it into 3D to generate an actual wall?

You'll probably have to create an additional mesh or VB to hold extruded data and then just push clones of vertices along a direction vector - something that could be done in real-time with a vertex shader...

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers

You'll probably have to create an additional mesh or VB to hold extruded data and then just push clones of vertices along a direction vector - something that could be done in real-time with a vertex shader...

That's probably an answer. Thank you !
Something similar was on my mind, unfortnately I am not well experienced in MDX.

I try to make a conveying system (company project).
The round course can be seperated in separate segments. Each one is whether curve or line. A curve shall be described by start (x,y,z),end (x,y,z) and angle. Line by start and end. Both line and curve will be built in a class.
my plan is to "draw" the lines and curves specified (start, end,..) in the file.
furthermore I want to "extrude" a specified profile (locks like a track) along the course.