Want to become a 3D modeler but suck at drawing..

Started by
7 comments, last by son-of-sun 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I am a C++ programmer wanting to get into some thing else as well. I've always loved 3D modeling just never attempted to try it because I suck at drawing and I thoughtr you need good drawing skills to be able to 3D model.. So I need some advice on how to become a better artist. Do I even need skills in drawing for 3D modeling?
~~~~~~~~~~~Future Plan: After High School I hope to go to Digipen university to get my bachelor's in Computer Science and Simulation, then go for my masters in that course. I also want to go there for my bachelor's in Fine Art in Production Animation. Then I'll go for my bachelor's in Computer Engineering
Advertisement
Drawing teaches you a lot about proportions, spacing, etc. You can get started 3D modeling without it, but if you can't draw well, your models are unlikely to come out great.

My advice? Mix the two. Get started with basic modeling and building simpler objects, but practice drawing as well. You don't need to be a sophisticated painter, but being able to do decent sketches of things will really pay off.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Do you need drawing (pencil & paper) skill to be a 3d artist? No.

Will it help in so many ways that I won't go into a complete list of things? Yes.

It's definitely not something you should just blow wind at and only use your 3d program. If you want to take off learning 3d modeling and you don't already know the basics or the gui, then you should take up doing both at the same time, spend time drawing and learning the basics of 3d.

(It took me quite some time to get anywhere in 3ds max, I shoudl have started with a simpliar program. But I imagine, in any case involving no prior experience that 3d modeling does not just come to you in a day.)
Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake
Thanks so much, I'll start practicing now!

BTW: I am using Blender3D I still working on learning the Interface with some video tuts.
~~~~~~~~~~~Future Plan: After High School I hope to go to Digipen university to get my bachelor's in Computer Science and Simulation, then go for my masters in that course. I also want to go there for my bachelor's in Fine Art in Production Animation. Then I'll go for my bachelor's in Computer Engineering
hey there chaotic i hope this helps cuz it certainly was of utmost benefit to my abilities. . .there's two books that will solve all of your drawing problems and quickly too!!!

1.drawing on the right side of the brain. by betty edwards.
most people cant draw for the simple fact that they cant use the right side of the brain at will and when it is needed. the brain is split into two main hemispheres the left and right. . .the right is creative and free and imaginative and the left is pattern based and analytical,always thinking with logic and patternbs where as your right allows you freedom from patterns and technical jibber jabber. this book will teach you first how to draw and use your rightside and then will go a step further and gives excercise for the brain shifting(i.e. learning to use either side when needed) i can honestly say that if your a struggling artist this is definitly for you!

2.how to draw,the natural way.
this book takes after the betty edwards book and goes a step furhter and way way more!
both books can be gotten at the local library under the art and drawing section or if you wish to own it look online for ordering or refer to your local bookstore.

btw:good luck learning blender its possible but impossible if you know what i mean. theres a number of other free software try your hand at,maya personal learning edition. xsi foundation(the ple version of softimage) and of course milkshape,which is wildly used for start up game designers. when you break ice with those progs. its time to get quality and get a very nice pakage like 3ds max or maya, theres also cinema 4d(which is what i mainly use due to it's inuitivity,its just so simple to learn that you will literally be making vases,cups,knives,swords and people within a week or two,maybe even less. . .took me three days to master the gui) theres also lightwave and messiah and houdini,houdini you can get a nice ple veriosn of too!!!!

hope this helped take care and good luck!!!

key:ple=personal learning edition,a free unlimited trial that allows you to evaluate the software and conclude wehter or not you will be using that software or not
I'll be short here.

Do you need to be able to draw well to 3d model? No. Do you need to understand drawing techniques to have a better understanding of how to effectively create 3d dimensional representation in 2d, to be able to work more intelligently and effectively in a 3d modeling application? Yes.

You don't need to be a master artist with pencil and paper to be able to model well. It does help, but leaps and bounds, to have a solid understanding of many of the core mechanics of drawing. Studying perspective drawing, in particular will help tremendously in your modeling and composition abilities.

Do you intend on learning to animation as well? Learning the techniques of traditional animation will help you in computer animations because the same fundamentals very much so apply in 3D. Check out Disney's Illusion of Life and The Animator's Survival kit. Both will aid tremendously in your understanding of good animation.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I've been in a similar position of late. One link you might find interesting is http://tenminutedrawing.blogspot.com/ - it won't get you that far, but its on-line and free so you can't complain. Gave me a kick start at any rate - looking for a book myself now. (Will look at the above suggestions.)

As for Blender, I'm one of those that has learnt it (...) - it isn't as hard as everybody says. Just keep going at the tutorials, keep the manual open in your web-browser and eventually it will snap. Its work flow is brilliant once you get it, just got to climb that hill first. Its just a little steeper than the others, but the vista at the top is just as satisfying:-)
I'll be buying both books on Amazon this week, also I'll check out that web site now, thanks for the help you guys.
glad to have been of some assistance here!
enjoy those books im sure you can learn a lot from both

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement