Books for programming

Started by
6 comments, last by CrimsonSun 16 years, 11 months ago
I have looked at earlier posts and different book reviews for different languages, but many of those are old reviews. I would like to know about what are the current books that people recommend. To start off, I am a Junior in high school and have been learning C++ for one year now with an old compiler, Turbo C++, but would like to move on to newer compilers such as Microsoft's Visual C++. I was wondering which books would be good for learning C++. So far I have in mind: Thinking in C++: Introduction to Standard C++ The C++ Standard Library by Nicolai M. Josuttis Stephen Prata's C++ Primer Plus Accelerated C++ I was wondering if those would be good books to read now that I am familiar with some of the language; I am also open to any suggestion of what would be good books to learn from or if those books aren't good. I also want to learn C#, I know a bit, but not much. I will probably be using C# next year in school too, so I would like to get a head start on the language. So far the only book that I have seen for C# is: Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Step by Step John Sharp Again, I am open to any suggestions for C# books. Thanks for your help, Daniel
Advertisement
Well ok if you want a new compiler first off

I can recommened Visual C++ express its free and it can be abit tricky to set it up for windows but there are a few good walk throughs for it!

Secondly the C# question

download and try out the Visual C# express its also free and there are a bunch of free video tutorials on the net to get you good and started

as for books well the net is the biggest book i know ;-)

You can try and read C++ for dummies may sound like its meant for dummies and may be it is but it may just help you brush up your understanding of some of the language!

there are tons of new books out all the time but getting the newest one is not all ways important.

just search amazon find something with in your budget or go download it from another source i am not saying to do that or not to do that.
Yeah, I already have the express editions, but newer C++ is a bit different because it uses different syntax is some cases and uses different libraries such as iostream instead of iostream.h.
Well i personal ether have not nocited the differnce

a few changes of note i guess would be.

using namespace std;
using std::string;

string is basicaly a new version of char[] array and you shouldnt get buffer over runs with it

cin.get();

is the newer getch();

but for the most part i have still been able to program a good bit of things and i have not noticed a signifactent differnce!
as far as compilers go, I would suggest DevC++. It's free, and comes with most of the regular C++ includes, while Visual C++ express doesn't. It's also very easy to use in my opinion.
As far as C# goes, I'd stick with Visual Studio [C# Express Edition]. The only other third-party IDE I tried was SharpDevelop (pre-Express-Edition time) and whilst it was a nice try it was decidedly a case of 'close, but no cigar'.

Quote:Original post by brandonman
as far as compilers go, I would suggest DevC++. It's free, and comes with most of the regular C++ includes, while Visual C++ express doesn't. It's also very easy to use in my opinion.

Huh? Visual C++ Express Edition includes all the standard C++ includes.
[TheUnbeliever]
I recommend Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition - there is no way you will ever find a better deal for a decent, modern compiler.

Also, there is no royalty charge on anything you make with it, even commercial games.
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
Quote:Original post by Unreality
Yeah, I already have the express editions, but newer C++ is a bit different because it uses different syntax is some cases and uses different libraries such as iostream instead of iostream.h.

Well you really should switch to standards compliant C++ because iostream.h has been deprecated for over five years. Thinking in C++ is a good place to start. You can get it for free online and it's pretty well written.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement