computer choices???

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 16 years, 11 months ago
what type of computer of laptop should i get to make games on
Advertisement
Generally I prefer laptops to be lightweight and portable so for me they're not ideal development platforms.

Otherwise, the best PC you can afford. the Intel Core2 line of chips is pretty damn fast, the newest NVidia cards (8800 series) are amazing.

If you're looking for brands, Dell is pretty solid and allows tons of customization options.

-me
A Blue one.

But seriously, what kind of game are you trying to make? 2D, 3D? What API? OpenGL, Direct3D, SDL, DirectDraw?

Honestly, if you don't have any programming experience yet, its likely that any old computer will do since it'll probably be time for a replacement by the time you've become a competent programmer and are ready to tackle game development at a level that would require modern hardware.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

You don't need anything special.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Well, if you want to do 3D, I would have to recommend a standard integrated graphics chip for bsic non-shader stuff, if you are looking to do SM 2.0 or above, the ATi Radeon XPress 200M is one that I can not recommend as I have one, I didn't buy the laptop for development purposes, though :P. Anyway, if it is simple SM 2.0 stuff, then the integrated graphics chip I stated should do fine as long as a lot of polygons aren't being rendered, too. The graphics chip isn't much use if the CPU isn't good enough, though, a 1.8Ghz or higher CPU would suffice for most games created. If budget is a concern, then you'd be better off without a laptop for development purposes only as they can be very expensive. I hope that helped you, if only a tad.

As John above me states, though, you really don't need anything special.
With some of the imformation already provided by the other poster's, i would recommend building your own computer(if you choose a desktop) because

1) It can be way-cheaper if you buy at the right place

2) You will learn a bunch of interesting stuff by doing it

Its actuall very easy to build a computer given the right parts.

I would recommend newegg.com for everything you would need.

Have fun :D
I agree with the previous comment made - you don't _have_ to get a high-end computer or anything special to develop games.

Take me for instance. In my recent work on my Direct3d9 game, I have been using a Geforce MX440 video card (very outdated) and an AMD 1.0 ghz CPU (which is also quite outdated.)

In same ways, developing on a low-end PC is advantageous, because it gives you a better idea of how your games will run on the average user's machine. This of course depends on what your average user turns out to be . . .
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
To echo and reinforce some of the above, you don't really need anything out of the ordinary. It can be useful (but still isn't essential) to have a machine matching what you expect your users may have because as an indie or hobbyist developer you'll probably be testing on your development machine.

Either a desktop PC or a laptop computer would be fine, although PCs are often preferred.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement