V c++ express and cost?

Started by
7 comments, last by synth_cat 16 years, 11 months ago
So after installing, visual c++ express, platform sdk,and directx august 06 sdk ,I ran into a problem. I followed the steps on microsofts webiste to install platform sdk with visual c++ express, but I couldnt find how to do it with directx. I went to one site that said you have to make a library file and a include file for it and your done but that didnt work. Out of options i called up microsoft tech suport and after half an hour of almost imposible to understand cs ,i got someone i could. But she said what is your msdn number? I downloaded it for free and said, "do you mean an account". He response was again but more angered "No, your number. You have to pay 250 dollars to receive that program". The conversation couldnt go further. So did i spend 250 dollars without realizing it with out giving away my credit card number? Im very confused? thanks TL:DR I called for help with directx and and the person refused to go any farther and said i downloaded a trial version, what just happened?(vc++ express).
Advertisement
Nothing you want to do should cost any money. You have the express edition which is free and which does not come with phone support (hence the confusion with the support rep)

DirectX just involves installing the DirectX SDK (also free)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/aa937781.aspx

After that it's just configuration of your application. You'll need to edit the project settings and include whatever libraries are appropriate to your application. Ask for more details about this if it's your problem.

-me
yah that is my problem.
I'm a little confused on how to do it.
I added a library file and an include file but then what and where? is directxtutorial.com a good site for some of the codes for it?
since i know i'm missing something since everything i put in even after someone confirms it comes up with error.
Thanks allot.
Support is almost certainly not available for free.

They were most likely asking your for MSDN membership (unrelated to express edition).

And I don't think that at entry level you have any chance of finding someone at helpdesk for code support.

Express edition is unsupported. It's fully functional version of a full product, but you're on your own. I'm surprised you even managed to stay online for so long, since the first question is usually your product/subscription key.
Well. It's the same as for any other library.

[Presumptuous yet friendly suggestion: you seem to be really new to programming. If you don't already know how to program, starting with DirectX is going to be the most frustrating thing you've ever tried to do in your life. Graphics is one of the most advanced programming topics out there]

In the solution Explorer side window:
right-click on the project
click properties

expand Configuration Properties

for headers:
expand C/C++
Select General
Fill in Additional Include Directories with the directories that contain the headers you are using

for libaries:
expand Linker
select General
Fill out Additional Library Dependencies with whatever directories contain your .lib files

select Input
Fill out Additional Dependencies with whatever libraries you are linking to

There will be a root include and a root lib directory in the DirectX SDK that you basically will put into those Additional X Dependencies places. Easiest way to find it is to just search your harddrive for the .h or .lib files you are using.

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine
Well. It's the same as for any other library.

[Presumptuous yet friendly suggestion: you seem to be really new to programming. If you don't already know how to program, starting with DirectX is going to be the most frustrating thing you've ever tried to do in your life. Graphics is one of the most advanced programming topics out there]

In the solution Explorer side window:
right-click on the project
click properties

expand Configuration Properties

for headers:
expand C/C++
Select General
Fill in Additional Include Directories with the directories that contain the headers you are using

for libaries:
expand Linker
select General
Fill out Additional Library Dependencies with whatever directories contain your .lib files

select Input
Fill out Additional Dependencies with whatever libraries you are linking to

There will be a root include and a root lib directory in the DirectX SDK that you basically will put into those Additional X Dependencies places. Easiest way to find it is to just search your harddrive for the .h or .lib files you are using.

-me

"[Presumptuous yet friendly suggestion: you seem to be really new to programming. If you don't already know how to program, starting with DirectX is going to be the most frustrating thing you've ever tried to do in your life. Graphics is one of the most advanced programming topics out there]"

(In response to this),
I have some confidence in c++( i have read some books on it and can write programs(not great programs but decent ones)), but do you think this is to difficult of a path to take in development for someone with out your expertise in this(this isnt a sarcastic comment)? Should i take a different c++ route?
Should I take another path( i also have a decent amount of knowledge in c#)?
Sorry i would just want an expert(i consider you since you been here so long)advice.
Thanks allot
Quote:Original post by Argos
"[Presumptuous yet friendly suggestion: you seem to be really new to programming. If you don't already know how to program, starting with DirectX is going to be the most frustrating thing you've ever tried to do in your life. Graphics is one of the most advanced programming topics out there]"

Depends. It's not graphics that's so hard; it's lining up all the compiler ducks and environmental requirements to get anything done. You can accomplish a lot using simpler interfaces, from Python (instead of C++) to directpython (instead of the DirectX SDK).
Is it worth learning to complete the directx? Does the directpython site have everything that is needed?
Would it be smarter to switch to python and using python application for the game or c# applications?
Thanks
I would recommend just going ahead and making your games with raw DirectX and raw C++. Yes, DirectX is a bit weird at first, but this will be more of an initial impression then anything. It doesn't require an absurdly deep understanding of C++ to use.
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement