Why did I choose a Pocket PC over Palm?

Started by
4 comments, last by T1Oracle 16 years, 10 months ago
I remember my old Palm M100. If I wanted to update my contacts I could open up the freeware known as Palm Desktop and add in my contacts. If I wanted to update my calendar or tasks or anything else, it was straight forward and easy. Syncing with my PC made sure that my PDA was backed up and that I could get info from the PDA to the PC and vise versa at any time. Best of all, the only thing I had to buy to do any of this was my PDA... Now that I have a Dell Axim X51V with Windows Mobile 5, that world of ease is gone. If I want to sync my PDA I have to give MS another arm and leg so I can have MS Office which I don't even want. I have tried an alternative known as BirdieSync but as far as I have seen its promise to sync with Thunderbird and Sunbird have gone unfulfilled. The sync process shows every sign of success, but no information ever transfers from PDA to PC or vise versa. I have searched and searched and I still do not know what I am missing. I followed the BirdieSync instructions for my OS, Windows Vista. I installed WMDC and set the sync content options as the instructions stated. Does anyone have advice or answers?
Programming since 1995.
Advertisement
Let me see if I understand this:

Your post is a large complaint that Microsoft Windows Mobile, using Microsoft Windows Office Mobile, using Microsoft ActiveSync will only sync with Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express?

Why would Microsoft want to support their competitors, especially since you are already using four of their other apps? When using WM5, OfficeMobile, ActiveSync, Windows on the desktop (whatever version), it only stands to reason that the company continue to other products. It would be a stupid business decision to bother to support F/OSS alternatives in addition to supporting their own apps.

You may be able to return your WM5 device and get a Palm device. Or feel free to support the F/OSS community by working on those sync tools. Either way, you can take a proactive approach to solving your problem, or wallow in self-loathing by complaining about it on a board that doesn't really care what OS you prefer, and cares more about making games.

Are you the proactive person who will take action, or are you just complaining about the situation you are in?
Quote:Original post by frobAre you the proactive person who will take action

Are you the literate person who actually knows how to read?
Quote:Original post by T1OracleI have tried an alternative known as BirdieSync...I have searched and searched...followed the BirdieSync instructions

Quote:Original post by frobYour post is a large complaint that Microsoft Windows Mobile, using Microsoft Windows Office Mobile, using Microsoft ActiveSync will only sync with Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express?

No, my complaint is that paying for a product that uses WM5 also incurs the hidden fee of $500 just to sync your contacts. Meanwhile a Palm product has no such hidden fee as something mundane as syncing contacts is included in the package.

If this makes sense to you, then either A) you have stock in MS, or B) the stuff that you are smoking is really potent.

Why should I have to pay $500 on top of the $350 I already spent on my PDA? This is just for basic functionality, I'm not looking for something fancy and cutting edge.

This isn't about Microsoft, this is about $500 that I should not have to spend.

Quote:Original post by frobWhy would Microsoft want to support their customers

I haven't the slightest clue...
Programming since 1995.
Quote:Why should I have to pay $500 on top of the $350 I already spent on my PDA?

If I was to spend $350 on something, I'd make sure it did what I wanted it to do first.

I wouldn't spend £350 on a car then say, "hey, this heap of crap has four wheels, I wanted a bike!"

I have a Windows Mobile 5.0 device and I absolutely love it to pieces. It's brilliant, it's the best gadget I've ever bought. Yes, I have MS Office too. But that wasn't a hidden cost or anything nefarious going on. It was a simple, well-informed decision that I made ahead of time that already aligned with what I intended to do anyway.
I don't see your problem either. You knew you were going to run Windows, which is known to be compatible with only itself. And in the case of Windows Mobile they did a pretty good job too, I might say. If you just use it as intended it wonderfully coexists with your desktop machine (personally, the Remote Desktop feature only was already worth the purchase). This means you will have to sacrifice your own preference for usability, i.e. install that damned Outlook. Also, many alternative email clients can synchronize with Outlook, so you might not even be forced to actually use it.

BTW What is it about that extra $500 you mention? My PocketPC (Qtek 9090) came bundled with a standalone version of Outlook 2002, full version. Didn't you get any software with it?
Quote:Original post by SunTzu
Quote:Why should I have to pay $500 on top of the $350 I already spent on my PDA?

If I was to spend $350 on something, I'd make sure it did what I wanted it to do first.

I wouldn't spend £350 on a car then say, "hey, this heap of crap has four wheels, I wanted a bike!"

I have a Windows Mobile 5.0 device and I absolutely love it to pieces. It's brilliant, it's the best gadget I've ever bought. Yes, I have MS Office too. But that wasn't a hidden cost or anything nefarious going on. It was a simple, well-informed decision that I made ahead of time that already aligned with what I intended to do anyway.

I was in Iraq on a year long deployment when I made the purchase, I wasn't in any position to test it out my PC. I did post here for advice on what PDA I should get however.

I followed the recommendation from that post after doing my own research as well. Prior to this dilemma I was perfectly happy with my Axim X51V.

Also I've been to the UK, 350 pounds is almost $700 USD. I wouldn't purchase something that costly (unless I really needed it) in a war zone, not that other soldiers haven't.

Quote:Original post by Prototype
Didn't you get any software with it?

That is one thing I overlooked, thank you +Rep. I assumed that Vista's Windows Mobile Device Center had the same stuff the disc would so I left it in the box. Silly me.

Unfortunately at the moment, Outlook 2002 and Windows Vista don't seem to be cooperating. I'm working on it but the Microsoft website seems to only have support for Outlook 2003, and 2007. It says that it is "unable to open default e-mail folders," then I choose to "open the file system folder instead," then it crashes with the Vista "resolve issue" window popping up.
Programming since 1995.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement