making the connection...

Started by
2 comments, last by hughiecoles 16 years, 11 months ago
ok, i've become moderately familiar with c++, i've been through about 5 C++ tutorials from various sources (cprogramming.com, cplusplus.com gpwiki.com, and a few others) and although i know nothing but experience is gonna make me better withthe fundamentals. I'm just having trouble making the connection between manipulating data and making even trivial games, i've made a few attempts, i've tried tetris and a little boxing game, and i can get the very first step, such as a BG with a moving character who can punch, or in the case of tetris, a BG, with a block falling and stopping at he bottom, but i guess i'm having problems seeing certain aspects and i was wondering if there are any tutorials that kinda of explain the thought process. i read the "make a tetris clone in 1 hr" post on this site, but i'm still working on familiarizing myself with windows so alot of the calls and built in functions are a little confusing. so basicly, does anyone have any idea of where to look next? also i was reading that tiling is a very efficent way to make alot of styles of 2d games but i can't find any good tutorials on the suject. if anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appriciated
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
ok well first of all you do not really mention what Graphics you are using!

What im refering to is are you useing
DirectX
OpenGL
Win32
SDL

for the most part i found out a good while back is to start out real simple
do your self a small text based adventure id even be glad to write a small tutorial for it if you like!

By doing simple text based games you can grasp how to minpulate the data and then adding graphics is not to much more of a step up!

Hope that helps out abit
I think what you need is simply hours of coding.
Building an entire game requires touching a lot of different non related topics. It's a good way of learning many things at once, but can be frustrating if used to learn the basis because everything gets mixed up in your mind.

My advice is, program simple "toys":
- A flock of images that follow the mouse around the screen.
- A planet in the middle and a ship orbiting around.
- A simple bitmap that changes the color of every pixel where you click.
- A whack a mole with a single mole that randomly pops up and counts how many time you click it with the mouse.
- A wasd controlled spaceship on a simple 2d starfield generated at random.

Keep it simple and, most importantly, keep it separated. Try to identify each different kind of knowledge in different parts of code; Input, graphics, time and movement, contents, math and functions, etc...

When you build small things it seems you can just write everything together and wrap it with your mind. However, the people who clearly see a huge system are not wrapping their mind around all of it's code. They know the parts it has, what they do how they are working together. They can imagine how each part is working, but about a minute after having written a line of code there's no realistic use in remembering precisely where it is and what it does.

There will be a moment where you don't need to think how things are done. You'll only need to think in the big picture, because the individual parts are very similar between projects.
thanks alot of the input, for the first reply, that would be great! and thanks for the ideas in the 2nd reply
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement