Sign in to follow this  
Goreth

Northumbria University Gaming courses

I'm very interested in the Northumbria University gaming courses, "Computer Games Software Engineering (BSc (Hons))" and "Computer Games Design and Development (BSc (Hons))" The trouble is that I do not know which course has a higher success rate of employment after the degree, or which one may be 'better' and how exactly the courses differentiate. Can anyone with any knowledge on these courses, or may know anyway, please help me find out this information. Thanks, Owen

Hey, its good to see theres actually some interest in the course! [smile]

I'm studying Computer Games Software Engineering at Northumbria now, well, not right now, I'm on placement working for Mere Mortals. I go into my final year in September.

The course is still in its early days, and there hasn't been a year group graduated yet - the first year group to enroll on the course are almost finished their final year now, so there aren't figures on success rate of employment just yet, although a few of us have had offers of work after uni, and during our final years.

A lot of people seem to enroll thinking its going to be an easy course, but they tend to drop off pretty quickly, which is pretty good in one way - groups get smaller, and it ends up being about 10 of the most interested and competant people.

If you want to know more about the course in general, just email Dan Hodgson - dan.hodgson@unn.ac.uk, hes the course leader.

Also, mandatory linkage:
http://northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUSCGS1

Computer Games Design and Development afaik is a new course they are running, but its supposed to be geared more towards the design process rather than the actual engineering.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely look into this course more. I'm at college at the moment, so will give Dan, your course leader, an email when I get home later today. Byt he sounds of it I need to do two things.

Find out more about these courses in general, and how the two differentiate for different audiences.

Thanks again,

Owen