Sign in to follow this  
supagu

[dx10] strange shader error

i get the following error when trying to compile my shader which isnt complete yet: "cannot have divergent gradient operations inside loops" effect/volumecloud.fx(163,30): error X4014: cannot have divergent gradient operations inside loops effect/volumecloud.fx(224,38): There was an error compiling expression
	// calculate depth
	// We need to determine the distance between the value stored in the depth buffer
    // and the value that came in from the GS
    // Because the depth values aren't linear, we need to transform the depthsample back into view space
    // in order for the comparison to give us an accurate distance
	float2 screenTex = 0.5 * ((IN.uvScreen.xy / IN.uvScreen.w) + float2(1,1));
	screenTex.y = 1.0 - screenTex.y;

float depthSample = depthTexture.Sample(samPointClamp, screenTex).r;
	//float4 depthViewSample = mul(float4(IN.uvScreen.xy, depthSample, 1), projInv);
	//float4 depthViewFront = mul(float4(IN.uvScreen.xy, (IN.uvScreen.z / IN.uvScreen.w), 1), projInv);

// we also need to convert the above too local/object space, to convert to light space
	float4 oBack = mul(float4(IN.uvScreen.xy, depthSample, 1), worldViewProjInv);
	float4 oFront = mul(float4(IN.uvScreen.xy, (IN.uvScreen.z / IN.uvScreen.w), 1), worldViewProjInv);

float4 hLightBack = mul(oBack, projector.worldViewProj);
	float4 hLightFront = mul(oFront, projector.worldViewProj);

// now convert to projective texture look up
	float2 lightScreenTexBack = 0.5 * ((hLightBack.xy / hLightBack.w) + float2(1,1));
	lightScreenTexBack.y = 1.0 - lightScreenTexBack.y;

float2 lightScreenTexFront = 0.5 * ((hLightFront.xy / hLightFront.w) + float2(1,1));
	lightScreenTexFront.y = 1.0 - lightScreenTexFront.y;

//float depthDiff = depthViewFront.z / depthViewFront.w - depthViewSample.z / depthViewSample.w; // cant we just do length(uvw1 - uvw2) ?
	float depthDiff = length(IN.uvw - colourTexture.Sample(samPointClamp, screenTex).rgb);
	depthDiff = saturate(depthDiff);

float3 frontUVW = IN.uvw;
	float3 backUVW = colourTexture.Sample(samLinearClamp, screenTex).rgb;

float4 volumeSample = 0;
	int numSamples = 64 * depthDiff;
	float invNumSamples = 1.0 / float(numSamples);
	for (int i = 0; i < numSamples; ++i)
	{
		float percent = float(i) * invNumSamples;
		float3 currentUVW = lerp(backUVW, frontUVW, percent);
		float4 currentVolumeSample = volumeTexture.SampleLevel(samLinearClamp, currentUVW, 0);
		currentVolumeSample.a = currentVolumeSample.r * 0.1f;

volumeSample.rgb += currentVolumeSample.rgb * currentVolumeSample.a * (1.0f - volumeSample.a);
		volumeSample.a += currentVolumeSample.a * (1.0 - volumeSample.a);

// ray cast to the light to calculate lighting
		// we need to calulate the distance from the current sample to where we intersect the box towards the light
		float3 lightColour = float3(1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
		float2 lightScreenPos = lerp(lightScreenTexBack, lightScreenTexFront, percent);
		float4 currentVolumeLightSample = lightTexture.Sample(samLinearClamp, lightScreenPos, 0);

float lightDepthDiff = length(currentUVW - currentVolumeLightSample.rgb);
		lightDepthDiff = saturate(lightDepthDiff);
		//float lightDepth = lightDepthTexture.Sample(samPointClamp, lightScreenPos).r;
		//float4 lightDepthView = mul(float4(lightScreenPos, depthSample, 1), projector.projInv); // NOTE: HERE, does this need to be in object space? or world space?

//float lightDepthDiff = depthViewFront.z / depthViewFront.w - depthViewSample.z / depthViewSample.w;
		int numLightSamples = 8 * lightDepthDiff;
		float invNumLightSamples = 1.0 / float(numSamples);
		for (int l = 0; l < numLightSamples; ++l)
		{
			float lightPercent = float(l) * invNumLightSamples;
			float4 currentLightVolumeSample = volumeTexture.SampleLevel(samLinearClamp, lerp(currentUVW, currentVolumeLightSample, percent), 0);
			lightColour *= (1.0 - (currentLightVolumeSample.r * 0.1f));
		}

// apply lighting. the more dense it is, the less light we receive
		volumeSample.rgb *= lightColour;
	}

the line the compiles fails on is this - 163: float percent = float(i) * invNumSamples; but if i comment out the line: volumeSample.rgb *= lightColour; it compiles fine o.0 googling returns no results, nothing in the dx10 sdk about it either. any ideas what this error means?

try to use different sample instrunction to read texture.
I didn't have the directX help here but I think that you are using sample instruction with gradient and probably you can use them 2 in the same shader. (if you comment that line the compiler remove all unusefull instruction)