Sign in to follow this  

Readback GL output

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Best I first try to explain what I want to do: I have a simple OpenGL application which generates some OpenGL output. My objective is to modify this output in my application and store back the modified output so it can be viewed. It seems I have to do several steps: 1.) Bend OpenGL's target buffer to some place, where it doesn't occur on the screen. (some texts I found suggest frame buffer objects or textures) 2.) Render my stuff. 3.) Read the OpenGL output from 1.)'s place back into RAM / my application. 4.) Do my modifications. 5.) Write the modified pixels into the frame buffer / window. I have several questions: I.) Am I heading in the right direction, or would you suggest another way? II.) What is the best place to render into (as described in 1.))? III.) How can I do this, what are the commands I need? Of course I found some fractions in the web, but this topic still seems diffuse to me. I would very much appreciate any suggestion, hint or link to ressources or even a tutorium covering my problem! Greetings, glBegin-ner EDIT: Added title, sorry for the omission. [Edited by - glBegin-ner on May 24, 2007 4:24:48 AM]

I.) Personally, I would suggest a framework like GLFW to get started, but starting out without using one is ok.
II.) Yes, frame buffers.
III.) If you don't want to use a framework, try NeHe's tutorials.

Actually, you probably should start out with NeHe anyway so you can understand the basics behind everything. Maybe move to a framework later.

And another suggestion, when starting a thread on here, be sure to make the title descriptive. "Getting Started with OpenGL" or something similar would've been appropriate. Be pretty specific but brief.

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.