PCI Video card ??

Started by
9 comments, last by NickBarkus 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, i am looking to update my old system which support AGP 2x only . Since newer AGP cards are for 8x , i was looking for a PCI video card as a alternative. I goolged and found the following card : 1) Nvidia 6200 PCI 2) ATI x 1300 PCI 3) ATI x1550 PCI ( all the above card support Dx 9c and openGl 2.0 which i was intrested in ) . such card can support my old system ?? Would any one guide which PCI video card should i go for . Any further suggestion are welcomed . thanks -nick-
Advertisement
Those look like PCI Express cards, which aren't supported by regular PCI cards.

IIRC, AGP 8x will work in a 2x slot.

Moving to Hardware Discussion.
Hello :)

The videocards you mention are probably NOT pci cards, but pci-x cards ( pci express ) I don't think your motherboard supports pci-x seeing as it had a agp 2x slot... I'd suggest getting a new motherboard, but with that, you might have to buy a new cpu, and memory... which could turn out rather expensive if your on a tight budget. The only thing I can think of is getting a new AGP card ( if you don't want to buy a whole new system )

Hope this helps a little ^^
I have checked that and these card ( above mentioned) support PCI slot not PCI Express.

So can a AGP 8x card can work on a 2x slot ?? if yes can anyone suggest me a decent card that support my mentioned requirements.

Thanks
-nick-
agp 1-8x can be compatible, but the AGP 3.3 and 1.5 volt cards are not compatible. You must physically look at your slot to find out if it is 3.3v, 1.5v (newer I believe) or universal. IIRC most AGP 1X and 2X slots are 3.3v and most 4X and 8X are 1.5v, but you must check to be sure.

Here's the wikipedia on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

but if this article is right, its a little more complex than that. PS, newegg has a 2X/4X search choice that has a (fairly crappy but not useless) ATI 9250 video card for $35, but that's not really going to get you good framerates on modern games at resolutions like 1280x1024. It does however beat integrated video, or really old <$100 cards

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,63.html

I have checked again . These card not only support PCIe and AGP but also PCI Slots . check by ur self

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=437&card2=189

Can anyone give me some feeback on my question ?

thanks
-nick-
What are the rest of your system specs.

standard PCI is a really bad interface for cards (that is why AGP and PCI-E (not X, thats something else!) are in use now) and honestly if you are stuck using it or an early AGP, it is likely time for a new mother board!

Really, consider holding off to upgrade (or better still buy a whole new system so you have two) something that will do you far better.

Some of your parts may still be good for a new computer, so post everything and I'm sure we'll get you sorted out.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Xai
PS, newegg has a 2X/4X search choice that has a (fairly crappy but not useless) ATI 9250 video card for $35, but that's not really going to get you good framerates on modern games at resolutions like 1280x1024. It does however beat integrated video, or really old <$100 cards

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,63.html

It certainly beats integrated video, but when I upgraded to this a while back I was disappointed that it only supported DirectX 8. Its probably best not to buy such an old generation card. I regret it now...Instead spend a bit more money on something nicer. Unfortunately I cannot help much with the rest of the discussion.
AGP 8x is only 1.5V.
AGP 4x can be 3.3V or 1.4V
AGP 1x-4x have traditionally been 3.3V.

So, no 8x in a 2x slot.

The x1550 is the fastest of the cards you list. Make sure you get it with as much memory as you can, as it'll take a while to page textures, but it'll run OK once the textures and geometry is on the card.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I wouldn't use a pci card for anything except troubleshooting.
I had to put my old nvidia fx5200 pci card in my dualcore rig while I RMA'd my 7900GTX card and I couldn't get even the simplest of 3D games to play at a decent framerate!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement