advice needed on learning order

Started by
5 comments, last by Danman87 16 years, 10 months ago
hi guys, recently I decided that I wanna start programming games. so the first thing I did was to learn c++ decently, but i'm not sure what I should do next, should I jump directly to opengl/direct3d books and guides, or are there basics that are better for me right now - such as learning about the theory behind 3D Programming (all the math/physics behind it), and also gaming design and architechture. thanks :) [Edited by - Danman87 on May 23, 2007 4:42:19 PM]
Advertisement
What games/program did you write with the C++ you learned?
That's give everyone an idea of where you are headed with this.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
pretty much no games, when I learnt c++ I did some "sort of" complex programs with a lot of database manipulation (information management programs). the only games I did was pong in C# and Battleships in C++, which is pretty easy. I guess the logical thing now would be to shoot for 2D games, though I don't really know anything about that. as you probably figured out already I aim towards 3D Game Programming, but i'm not going to rush anywhere.
Then I recommend you look up Allegro or SDL and start making some 2D games with the C++ you know.
You can ignore my advice and jump into 3D but it's like taking calculus 3 before finishing calc 1 or calc2 if you've ever taken those math courses.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I highly reccomend this 2D game C++ library/engine
http://hge.relishgames.com/
It's so easy to use and extremely powerful. Just follow the tutorials. And it's free.

For local multiplayer retro themed games, visit Domarius Games.

Or buy the book "GAME PROGRAMMING ALL IN ONE, Third Edition." It uses the Allegro library and you get some pretty good software on the CD that the book uses. You make pretty cool games like Tank Wars. I just started working through it myself and I'm excited to finish it.
Quote:Original post by daviangel
Then I recommend you look up Allegro or SDL and start making some 2D games with the C++ you know.
You can ignore my advice and jump into 3D but it's like taking calculus 3 before finishing calc 1 or calc2 if you've ever taken those math courses.

I think i'll do that, where can I find good guides or even books about those libraries?

thanks alot for the advice =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement