Sprite background help

Started by
3 comments, last by troutofdoom 16 years, 11 months ago
Okay, I searched but couldnt find anything relevant or comparable to my problem, so I made a new thread to ask... Ive made sprites in photoshop. Six different sprites to make a gif animation to simulate breathing. When I link the images to animate in either Game-Maker or Gif construction set, The animated gif has a random scattering of pixels the color of the background surrounding the animation. Ive tried changing the background from bright green to blue to red, it doesn't matter the sprite is still surrounded by a messy pixel aura. Ive saved the individual images as .gif, .bmp, and .jpeg and tried all quality settings and combinations. Game-maker gets rid of the majority of the background, but I cant find a way to get rid of the mess surrounding the character. I need these sprites for a game project assignment in class thats due in about 3 weeks. ANY help or advice anyone can give me to clean up my animations, or tell me why the entire background isnt made transparent would be appreciated. THANK YOU.
Advertisement
First thing is to not use the background color as black... Make sure that RGB 0,0,0 is preserved as transparency. And don't use JPEG since this is lossy... it doesnt preserve edges.

Perhaps you could elaborate more and we can try to help out...

Good luck!
Well, if this picture works...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The images on the right are my individual frames, the image on the left with the weird outline is how game-maker translates those images. At first I thought maybe I had left impurities on an underlying layer. So I magic-wanded the figure itself, and pasted it into a new file with only a background layer that I made a single color (blue or green), it still produced that effect.

Im not sure what other information you guys might need...
So, I tried Paint Shop Pro, plastered my sprite onto a magenta background and saved as a .bmp. The images from paint shop pro are clean around the edges. I have no idea what the difference was, but I guess it doesn't matter. Id prefer to use Photoshop, but if it takes me longer to figure out how to make the sprite work than it did to make each individual drawing, then forget it, ill just work in PSP.

This thread didn't really solve anything, and probably wont be useful to anyone in the future, it wont hurt my feelings if it gets deleted.

Thanks for the help.
Hi there.

The problem seems to be that your background color isn't solid. Take the eyedropper and drag it around the area where the aura is and you'll see the color values change. I haven't worked with Game-Maker, but I assume it uses a single color value for alpha, so only that will be transparent. Another way to illustrate this is to use the magic wand and select the main blue area that doesn't show up as an aura in Game Maker with a tolerance of 0. Everything else will show up.

How did you create the image? I would recommend creating the sprite on a separate layer with true transparency, then if Game Maker can't use .png's, paint the background layer and export as a bitmap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement