Sign in to follow this  
gunner_uk2000

Occulsion Culling without bounding box mesh...

I was reading the guide on Occlusion Culling on the site: [url]http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/occlusionculling/page2.asp[/url] Which uses a bounding box, defined by a mesh. The problem is my engine is using a bounding box defined by two min and max vectors. Is Occlusion Culling possible with bounding boxes defined like this? (and if so how?) or would I need to convert these values into meshes? Thanks, Gunner.

I believe occlusion culling will work so long as the bounding box can contain the object within it. Your bounding box may not be ideal, but so long as this is the case it should work.

With the technique used in that article, bounding boxes like you use them can't be used as-they-are. As explained in the article, the bounding mesh is first rendered to a separate buffer, and that buffer is then checked to see if an object is actually visible there. If it's not, then you can ignore that object when rendering to the screen buffer.

So, you'll need to draw a box the size of your axis-aligned bounding box if you want to use this technique. Keep in mind though, that using AABB's for culling purposes is a bad choice, as explained in the first page of that article.