River implemantation

Started by
2 comments, last by glHomeless 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I want to implement a river. The water on it should be dynamic. I have the 3d coordinates of points which describe the river's border position. And I want that when the river splits into smaller rivers it looks realistic. Is there any good known implementation technic? Thanks for any help
Advertisement
you could simulate the flow of the river using smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) and rebuilt the surface using marching cubes or just a heightfield like in
RiverSim
Check out this paper. It uses a Kass-Miller-like 2D algorithm on the GPU and runs in real-time on modern video cards. I don't think you're going to get away with anything better than a 2D simulation honestly if you want reasonably large areas in real-time. That said, 2D simulations look pretty good for most things.

Of course such a technique may be entirely overkill for what you're trying to accomplish (or it may be not enough). You'll have to give us more information for us to make a better suggestion.
thank you for your answers. The paper proposed by AndyTX is very usefull. I don`t want to implement a very physically correct river. The main problem is the interaction of water (which will be some textures) with splashes. But I will first read the paper proposed by AndyTX.

Thanks for your help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement