Sign in to follow this  

multiple lights, blocking geometry

This topic is 3856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm applying all relevant lights in my scene during one pass, additively, in a shader. So, the geometry I submit is transformed, projected, and lit by all the lights. I can make these lights use an angle too, so I can handle spotlights in the same shader as point lights. But how is blocking geometry handled? How do I stop a red light affecting the corridor behind a wall it's on? Thanks.

You'll want to cull all lights away that are guaranteed to not affect the geometry you're rendering. This can for example be done by checking if the geometry intersects the the lights bounding volume and some sort of portal/region sytem (Advanced Light and Shadow Culling Methods (2006) or occlusion culling.

The "rest" is standard shadowing, most likely using some form of shadow mapping. I think there are a few papers on developer.nvidia.com covering the basics and sample implementations for OGL and D3D.

This topic is 3856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.