Sign in to follow this  
rawk234

Guide to Game Design

Hello GameDev.net, ive created this free guide to game design, please take the time to download the .zip file, extract it and have a read, also it includes a Design Document Template too. Game Design Guide Thanks

Hey Tyler,
So I looked at your download and your myspace page, and I gotta say, the download is a little sparse. So tell us, how many released games have you designed using your template? And do you really think you deserve a credit for someone using your template? It's a lot like my outline at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm - but I don't expect or request that anyone using my outline give me undeserved credit in their game, should they make use of it...
Tom

Well, now that someone else has taken the download plunge, I suppose I'll give it a shot as well.

You have some great advice in that document. Much of what you say is engaging and, if not innovative, gets some good points across.

But you also say things like this: "Have a believable story, nothing irregular." Okay... But that isn't clear, and certainly isn't enough to help me write down an entire story (even if I already have the story planned out in my head).

The DD template doesn't have much to offer me; in fact, the entire thing is summed up inside your guide, too - all without really giving me the help of seeing a somewhat complete doc.

Your total package offers us less than five full pages of information, some of which is really rather common sense and obvious. The writing and grammar leave much to be desired, as well.

So... I think you could offer us some useful templates and guides, but you aren't there yet. You've gotta decide what you have that Gamedev, Sloperama, and Gamasutra don't already do well? If you can find your niche, create a nice article or post, and prove that you've got something new or better - then we'll all jump on it! So, keep it up and good luck.