3deditor stuff

Started by
3 comments, last by Brakezone 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello gamedev forums, I am a student working on a BS in Information Technology. Independently, I've been working to master the C++ programming language. So far I'm on my 5th c++ book and I believe I've covered most of the language facilities and topics as well as a good chunk of the STL. I've also read Beginning Game programming in C++ and Beginning Opengl game programming (course technology). I own three other game programming books which are HUGE and have tons of material, which I am trying to get up to their level. Game coding Complete Second Edition, More opengl Game programming, and Tricks of the game programming Gurus. Anyways, I have been writing my own 3d editing program (like a level editor). I plan on reusing some of the code from the editor for the game and also using the editor to create some game content. I know that I could just grab some other game engine and get content from other 3d editors / modelers; however, the entire plan was to do something from the ground up for the experience and learning that comes with it. I feel pretty good about the editor so far. Its about 3,000 lines of code, it uses C++, GLUT and Opengl. Keep in mind its my first major program. Some of its current features: *A single window that holds 4 views: A 3-Dimensional view & Three 2-Dimensional Views *Controls and Movement are specific to the current view type *Adjustable high performance grid with snap to grid feature *The ability to create and delete several types of polygons and select / move with mouse *Manipulation of multiple objects vertexes with respect to a common base point *snapping vertexes together *change textures Not sure what type of game to make with it but I was thinking something RGP like. There is quite a bit more work to do before I even start on that, but I plan to keep things highly simplified and straight forward so that I may finish it and move on to greater things.
Advertisement
Haha since I see no questions, I'm assuming your post is out of pride (there's nothing wrong with that). It sounds cool! I am excited to be able to create my own engine, and I'm sure if I have made the achievements that you've made I would be proud as well! Get back to work! Hah
Well, more or less it was aimed at introducing myself and making a mission statement, Although, I am very open to comments, suggestions, and opinions. Some of the things I have to work on next include saving and loading maps, loading in new textures and a better system for selecting them. I also have to add in more choices of shapes, the ability to copy and paste, the ability to create a template... etc.

It doesn't seem like its possible to load textures through a dialog box kinda thing using just GLUT or openGL without the introduction of some other API or writing that kind of system myself. Can anybody confirm that?

If you are not concerned about being cross platform and you are using Windows you can use a straight win32 common dialog with the OPENFILENAME structure and GetOpenFileName function.
Developer Journal: The Life of Corman
Thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact, I am developing this to be compatible with windows and linux.

I'm considering creating some kind of command line at the bottom which you can do a variety of things like loading and saving files and more. I could be wrong, but this could possibly be done easily without the introduction of another API, and would allow for great flexibility.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement