Sign in to follow this  
johnnyBravo

Java, is starting and stopping a thread like this ok?

In my program I've got an animated map(has a while loop) that runs on a separate thread, and to stop it, i set a flag in animated map so it will exit its while loop. Then to start the thread again, I create a new thread and start it. Could there be any problems with doing it this way? Also how do I pause a thread so I can update some shared variables and then resume again? (aka being thread safe) thx

Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
In my program I've got an animated map(has a while loop) that runs on a separate thread, and to stop it, i set a flag in animated map so it will exit its while loop.

That's fine. Generally, you'll want to declare the flag as volatile:

public class MyClass implements Runnable
{
private Thread thread = null;
private volatile boolean running = false;

public void start()
{
if(thread != null) return;

thread = new Thread(this);
thread.start();
}

public void run()
{
running = true;
while(running)
{
}
}

public void stop()
{
running = false;
thread = null;
}
}

Using this approach, if the object can be manipulated from multiple threads, you'll want to synchronize the start and stop methods to make manipulation of the thread object thread-safe.

Quote:
Then to start the thread again, I create a new thread and start it.

That's fine, but keep in mind that creating threads has a certain amount of overhead. If you do it frequently, you can hurt performance. In that case, you want might want to consider a thread pool.

A better option would be to use an instance of java.util.concurrent.ExecutorService. This will manage a thread pool for you. You can configure one to run the same task repeatedly at different intervals, or as frequently as you feed tasks to it.

Quote:

Also how do I pause a thread so I can update some shared variables and then resume again? (aka being thread safe)

That's not being thread-safe, it's being inefficient. To safely update shared data, use synchronization.

Thank you,

From what I've read so far, I think to synchronize I just need to add the 'synchronized' keyword in front of the functions?