Sign in to follow this  

VMR9 Reset Device Failed

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am having a problem with VMR9. I am using the custom allocator sample to show video and when changing the window size trying to reset the device ( after calling DeleteSurfaces ) and apperentlly there are still some 3 resources that are not freed. I used the alloc break from the directx control panel its look like they ware allocated by the graph??? any ideas how I should tell the graph that I am going to reset the device and it should free these resources ?? Thanks

Are you using C++ or C#? DirectShowLib?

Personally, I just dispose of the entire thing, including removing everything from the graph during a reset. It's probably not necessary to do that though. I would prefer to have the video continue playback after a reset at the same position but I havn't got around to that yet. I guess that would require the graph to stay in place while you dispose of the allocator then recreate it after the device reset.

You can run the DirectX runtimes in debug mode and it should give you an id for the resources that are still allocated. Then you can break on that id (by selecting it in the DX Debug control panel) when it's created so you can see which resource is the one that is not getting disposed properlly.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am using C++ and for now just using the VMR9 custom allocator presenter sample as is ( the only change i did is to align the vertices to the screen by some matrix multiply ). I tryed using the directx debug mode and set the break on alloc id to the id got from the debug output. when I run the process again it breaks on g_graph->RenderFile( path, NULL );
which is not very helpful.
I'll just keep on digging maybe it will pop somewhere.
again, thanks for the help.

If it breaks on that line, just continue so it will continue to the next break. It depends on the level of debugging you have to how sensitive the debug runtimes are. So you want it to keep going until it breaks on the resources that are not being freed. You should get an ID from that so then you can break on the creation of the resource ID.

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.