Sign in to follow this  

polling a socket and receiving data [previously titled as 'ioctlsocket']

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there anything wrong with using ioctlsocket/FIONREAD to poll a socket for incoming data (TCP)? It's of course for a game, so it's gonna be done very often (once a multiple of frames, or even on each frame).. [Edited by - arithma on May 25, 2007 5:44:51 AM]

OK, so after select asserts there is actually data, how should I continue to know how big the buffer I should supply, or should I just: select, recv, select, recv, select, no data...?

The socket should be non-blocking, so you can just keep doing recv() till it tells you that the operation would block.

From my code:

void PNetworkClient::OnRead(int nError)
{
if(nError)
{
ELog::Get().DebugFormat(L"NETWORK : Read from %s failed. Error: %s\n",
GetRemoteIP().ToString().c_str(), PNetworkMgr::FormatWindowsError(nError).c_str());
CleanupSocket();
return;
}

int nRet;
char szBuff[256];
do {
nRet = recv(m_sock, szBuff, sizeof(szBuff), 0);
if(nRet == SOCKET_ERROR)
{
int nError = WSAGetLastError();
if(nError != WSAEWOULDBLOCK)
{
ELog::Get().DebugFormat(L"NETWORK : Read from %s failed. Error: %s\n",
GetRemoteIP().ToString().c_str(), PNetworkMgr::FormatWindowsError(nError).c_str());
CleanupSocket();
}
}
else if(nRet == 0)
{
// Graceful close
CleanupSocket();
}
else
{
size_t nReadSize = (size_t)nRet;
if(m_nMaxRecvBufferSize > 0 && m_vRecvBuffer.size() + nReadSize > m_nMaxRecvBufferSize)
nReadSize = m_nMaxRecvBufferSize - m_vRecvBuffer.size();
if(nReadSize > 0)
{
size_t nOldLen = m_vRecvBuffer.size();
m_vRecvBuffer.resize(nOldLen + nReadSize);
memcpy(&m_vRecvBuffer[nOldLen], szBuff, nReadSize);
}
}
} while(nRet == sizeof(szBuff));
}

That code is called when select() says there's data to read.

Quote:
Original post by arithma
Are you absolutely sure about passing std::vectors to the Winsock2 DLL?

Where does it say that (memcpy is not part of the WS library)? Or do you want to do that yourself?

I just guessed from the .size()...
I was asking "Evil Steve" whether he was using std::vectors as buffers and passing them to Winsock.. that's all

As far as I can see, he's not. He's pulling data into a temporary buffer allocated on the stack, and then proceeds by copying it to a UDT using memcpy. It does look like an stl-UDT though, yes.

WinSock doesn't care where the buffer is coming from; it just wants an array of bytes to write into. '&vector[0]' is as good as '&stackvar' or 'mallocblock'.

However, the original question was: how do I know how much to read?

The answer is that you should try to read as much as possible in the first recv() call. 256 bytes is typically way too little. Try 65k at a time. When select() returns that there is data, the very next call to recv() is guaranteed to not block, even if the socket is blocking. That's because the specification for recv() is that the call may return a smaller amount of data than requested, if that's what it has to do to avoid blocking. recv() on a blocking socket only blocks if there is no data in the buffer when you call recv().

Btw: instead of using memcpy() to put things at the end of a vector, you can use insert.

Yeah, I'm [ab]using the fact that vectors are guaranteed to be contiguous [smile]

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
The answer is that you should try to read as much as possible in the first recv() call. 256 bytes is typically way too little. Try 65k at a time. When select() returns that there is data, the very next call to recv() is guaranteed to not block, even if the socket is blocking. That's because the specification for recv() is that the call may return a smaller amount of data than requested, if that's what it has to do to avoid blocking. recv() on a blocking socket only blocks if there is no data in the buffer when you call recv().

Btw: instead of using memcpy() to put things at the end of a vector, you can use insert.
Do you really think 65k is nessecary? I can see why you'd want to (To make sure the socket buffer gets emptied ASAP), but 64k is too big to have on the stack isn't it? I suppose it could be a static buffer, or allocated with new.

About the memcpy(), I was aware of insert, but I'm still not comfortable using pointers as iterators for some reason. And I would have thought memcpy() would be faster (Admittedly, probably not with a 256 byte buffer)

It's hard to make speed of CPU matter much in networking.
Your DSL modem gives you, what, 160 kB per second?
Modern memory bandwidth is 12 GB/s, for about 5 orders of magnitude difference :-)

std::vector is guaranteed to be contiguous, just so that you can use them as buffers.

And, as a plus, pointers are iterators :-). More so, iterators are a generalization of pointers. So, pointers are iterators, but not all iterators are pointers!

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.