Create an entire level using a .x and ODE - too much to ask?

Started by
2 comments, last by chillypacman 16 years, 11 months ago
Would it be possible to have an entire static model (.x) loaded as a level. Basically the entire mesh is static and uses ODE for per poly collision detection (rather than bounding box). Would it be possible/sane to do this? If so, how? Is there another (more appropriate perhaps?) way to create levels? Maybe an open source alternative or a basic concept I could build off?
Advertisement
From what ive heard, not a good idea. Ide recommend something like the
quake 3 bsp's because there pretty easy to load and there are many tools to make these maps with. Also, i think there are bsp's built directly into the map, so you could implement culling for large maps.
The biggest problem with doing it as a single object is that you would be checking collision with every polygon in the entire level all the time, which is insanely slow. You are much better off creating the level as a set of objects, and only checking collision with objects that are nearby.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

actually I like the idea of implementing a BSP style system. I think that would ssave a lot of development time. If I were to to use x files as originally planned and break them up to save calculations it would mean I'd also have to create a level editor from scratch as well...

Can BSP's work with ODE and x files or are they too much of a hassle? Also are there any resources that could help me go about oding htis? (open source codes or tutorials in generel).

edit: bleh, it might be too much of a hassle trying to get BSP's working. I'm going to just build the levels out of seperate .x files and use seperate body's to minimize calculations. It should work fine, just have to get a handle of ODE's triangle mesh class.

[Edited by - chillypacman on May 26, 2007 12:21:41 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement