[web] SMTP server questions

Started by
1 comment, last by smitty1276 16 years, 10 months ago
If "web development" isn't the right place, I apologize. I figured it was the best place to find people who have dealt with this... I'm setting up some internal stuff at work--a wiki and some blog stuff--but I'm having a heck of a time getting an SMTP server up and running on Windows Server 2003, probably because I don't know a thing about SMTP. A couple of questions: 1) What the heck is an IIS "SMTP Virtual Server"? It's running and is being used by a .NET app running in IIS, but my MediaWiki installation--which is running in Apache on port 82--can't see it. Is it truly "virtual" and only visible to inside of IIS? I can't even telnet to port 25. Why can't they just make an SMTP server that is actually usable? 2) I installed hMailServer, which seems nice, but it refuses to send anything. Every email results in a "550 Delivery is not allowed to this address" message. Any ideas how I can get this working?l
Advertisement
You can only have one mail server running on port 25 - choose one and stick to it.

Most MTAs don't allow relaying by default - not even from localhost, most of them. Normally you want to allow relaying from localhost - so you need to add that to their configuration.

IIS SMTP server can relay but only allows IP addresses you've allowed relaying from. See their docs for more info.

Mark
I had hMailServer set to some arbitrarily high port number, like 40000, so it wasn't a conflict. And the IIS SMTP server had localhost on the relay settings already.

Is there anything else you can think of that would cause those problems?

Thanks for responding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement