Canonical Terrain Engine information

Started by
0 comments, last by JohnBolton 16 years, 10 months ago
I know these things never really exist, but I'll ask anyways! I'm at the point where I would like to implement a terrain system to be used in conjunction with other collision and rendering methods. I would like to implement something like the terrain in Unreal. What I am searching for is information that can get me up and running quickly. I know, I know - it's all subjective. Of course I know that. But can anyone direct me to the current best starting point for this kind of thing? I won't need to have real-time deformation of geometry (except in an editor) but I do need LOD support. Please, can someone aim me in the right direction? - S
Advertisement
Terrain rendering is a big subject. You can get up and running quickly by just rendering brute force with no LOD.

A good place to start is The Virtual Terrain Project because just about everything there is to know about terrain is there. This is the page on LOD algorithms. I recommend starting with "geomipmapping". It is one of the better algorithms and it is not difficult to implement.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement