system requirements

Started by
1 comment, last by Drigovas 16 years, 10 months ago
How do I know what system requirements to display for my game? It's not as much CPU-power (it IS just a Win32 console game), but what OS, what drivers, dll's...
Advertisement
Quote:
(it IS just a Win32 console game), but what OS, what drivers, dll's...

Well, I guess the OS is Win32. As for drivers and dll's it depends on your dependency on other libraries but assuming purely console all you really need is the
OS...
OS, drivers, etc are usually bound by the specific functions you use. For example, using win32's "raw input" requires windows XP as a lower bound, while using a vertex shader requires a card with vertex shader capability [just as using a pixel shader that uses "normal()" requires pixel shaders v2]. None of this is likely to be of any concern for you if you're only using a console program, since those are generally supported [and console-technology hasn't exactly made leaps and bounds over the last few years]. For that matter, unless you're using windows specific functions in your console program [iostreams are not windows specific], you're not even limited to windows [but you will need to recompile your source code for the various platforms, because the way that executables are stored and the implementation of standard libraries vary]. In short : When in doubt, look up the specific function to see under what environment it is supported. MSDN can be pretty useful for this with regard to windows specific stuff.

As for dll's and other extrenal requirements, Google for 'dependency walker', it'll point out to you all the various files used [and thus needed] by your program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement