Where to look for artists?

Started by
3 comments, last by chefgon_ign 16 years, 10 months ago
I just need to find someone who can make decent sprites for a concept demo, and I dunno where to find anybody who can help. Thanks.
Advertisement
You can try our very own Help Wanted forum (being sure to follow the required template if posting), although unfortunately artists are in quite high demand and short supply around here. For that reason I would suggest also searching for additional online communities that may be appropriate - have a google around to see what communities you can find, there are some out there dedicated to most art styles, and numerous dedicated to game creation, some of which may be suitable for looking for help.

You mention that the sprites are for a concept demo - if you're just looking for placeholder art (or if you aren't but are happy to not have exclusive rights to the art you use) you could see if any of the graphics from SpriteLib or PlanetCute suit your needs.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I've looked at a bunch of sprite places... the problem is that for the concept demo, I need a lot of rather specific poses (all the sprites I need are of a humanoid figure... a stick figure would do just fine). The problem is that even with no animation (just a unique pose to denote each possible action), I would still need 117 sprites of one guy in various poses, and 110*n + 7 for n frames of animation per action.

That's the problem with the concept I'm trying to demonstrate. It needs a lot of art. ;P

The reason I don't really want to ask on the help wanted forum is because this isn't a big serious project. Not only am I pretty sure I wouldn't get any responses, I don't want to clog the forum with my small project.
By "concept demo", I assume you mean "prototype".

This may be a long shot, but ever try the conceptart.org forums?
For the kind of project you are describing, there are only two realistic options.

1. Have a personal friend do it.

or

2. Do it yourself.

In general, coders aren't artists. That means you've got lots and lots of coders working on homebrew projects who are in need of a generous artist. Your chances of finding somebody online for a project like yours are slim.

I suggest just tackling it yourself. Anybody can draw a stick figure, right? Google search for tutorials on any specific problems you have and just put something together.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement