advice for a beginner?

Started by
35 comments, last by Winegums 16 years, 10 months ago
I'm kind of in a weird position here. Basically i want to design games, i have ideas for games that I'd love to see developed, but the impression i get from this forum and other forums alike is that you HAVE to know something (programming, animation, modeling etc) to really get a team going and maybe making a mod or a new game. The problem is i don't know any of that stuff, I've dabbled in 3d modeling but it didn't really go past tutorials, same goes for photoshop, i don't know any programming, but i love games and i want to design them. What exactly should i do?
Advertisement
Basically it's kinda easy. You have to learn one of those things or become involved in testing or promotional business, but i don't think you want to do the last two things.

You have to learn how to write, before you can make a book too.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein
First figure out what you want to do in video games. Do you want to model? Do you want to be a skinner? Design levels? Do programming?

IMO the best place to start is to mod an existing game that has good mod support. Most of your FPS are good places to start cause they usually offer the chance to try everything. Most good games also come with instructions on how to do the stuff. Then you just hang out on forums and ask tons of questions and read some material.

After you get some skills you have 2 choices. Join a team or start your own. If you want to do a small game then you can probably get 1 or 2 other people and put out a simple game like tetris. IT is small but will require you to do everything that is needed for a game. If you want to work on a huge game that involves the latest in graphics you are better off looking for a team that needs a member with your skills.

As for designing, who ever owns the company or is the head of the team usually designs the game. However on my team we brainstorm as a team and talk about the pros and cons of adding or changing stuff and come up with the best solution.
Basically what i want to do is design how the gameplay will work (with words, not tools), the storyline, the characters, i want to write the story. Heres my question, is it relatively easy to assemble a team or join a team as a writer? And how do i go about getting a team interested in making my game with me. My main worry is getting a team making my game, to me it just seems weird because its basically getting someone to work under your instruction and I'm not sure how realistic is on the internet
Quote:Original post by OzzyStar
Basically what i want to do is design how the gameplay will work (with words, not tools), the storyline, the characters, i want to write the story. Heres my question, is it relatively easy to assemble a team or join a team as a writer? And how do i go about getting a team interested in making my game with me. My main worry is getting a team making my game, to me it just seems weird because its basically getting someone to work under your instruction and I'm not sure how realistic is on the internet

Not realistic at all, I mean if your dream of 'designing' games involves telling people what to do and seeing them do it, well lets just say no one will put up with it.

Personally I think a major level designer who does every aspect of the design process is a bit over the top. For instnace Half-Life while having designers working on it under went a major change during development when they started getting the people working on various parts of the game to provide input on how it should play and feel. The rest is history.

I just don't see how a dedicated 'designer' could possibly exist with a small rag tag team. Sure when you're making the next halo you'll have severel designers but those designers won't be people with 'good ideas', they'll be people with qualifications and degrees and whatnot.

So in short, if you really want to design a game learn something hands on in terms of making a game otherwise you don't really stand a chance to ever design your revolutionary MMORPG or whatever else.
Bottom line, you're going to need a skill to contribute. Nobody in the world is going to put hard work into creating somebody else's vision unless they're being paid.

I suggest learning some coding. From there you can put some basic things together on your own and then you'll be in a much better position to find people who are willing to help you. Its probably not as hard as you think and there are lots of free resources online to help you get started.
Hi;

What you ask is a hard toppic. First of all, Do you want to be a game designer as a profession? If your answers is yes then I'll suggest you go to college. Nowdays there are many escellent colleges that focus on game programming.

While you study you can find a job as beta tester in a quality assurance department in a game company, is a hard job and isn't funny. But there you can learn a lot about the game development and design and with time, you can climb positions inside the company.

I also suggest you to study a lot even if you just want to be a producer, is not an easy task and when you talk about a team for a comercial game there is also a lot of money involved.

So, start studying, keep reading and play a lot.

Good luck.
i cant learn something im not interested in, i guess this option is dead, thanks for the answers
Quote:Original post by ejele012
Hi;

What you ask is a hard toppic. First of all, Do you want to be a game designer as a profession? If your answers is yes then I'll suggest you go to college. Nowdays there are many escellent colleges that focus on game programming.

While you study you can find a job as beta tester in a quality assurance department in a game company, is a hard job and isn't funny. But there you can learn a lot about the game development and design and with time, you can climb positions inside the company.

I also suggest you to study a lot even if you just want to be a producer, is not an easy task and when you talk about a team for a comercial game there is also a lot of money involved.

So, start studying, keep reading and play a lot.

Good luck.

thank you, im currently exploring the education options around me. So far ive only found one place that has a course for game design and project management...i just really dont want to have to move to toronto so i thought id atleast get my foot in the door with a small internet team but that appears to be unreasonable.
Quote:Original post by OzzyStar
i cant learn something im not interested in, i guess this option is dead, thanks for the answers

Ha. That dream was short-lived.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement