Animating Sprites in 2D

Started by
2 comments, last by Qitsune 16 years, 10 months ago
Hey, guys. I've been programming a 2D game, and I've got a friend who can cartoon very well. The problem is neither of us know where to begin when developing sprites. Are there any tutorials you could direct us to, or possibly books you would suggest?
Advertisement
Here are a couple of online resources :

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/default.htm
http://www.spriteart.com/main.html

In the end, its all about practice..

good hunting,
ahayweh
For your artist, the place to begin is with a Disney or similar book on traditional animation which teaches what frames are, the principles of squash and stretch, and gives examples of walk and run cycles. Muybridge's photobooks of humans and animals in motion are also great resources. Tool-wise it's best to have a light box, a scanner, a printer, and a quality image-editing program. You can test simple animation sequences by animating just the lineart as an animated gif (gimp is one free program which can do this). Then when this 'pencil test' looks good you color and finalize each frame to create one of that sprite's animations. A sprite is basically one character or monster doing all the motions you want it to do in the game.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Making a sprite depends on your game engine, some use strips of images stuck next to another, some use grids, some use animated gifs, separate numbered images, Flash movieclip or other formats.

What you WILL need is animations, say, a walk cycle. You will need to draw each frame and output it to your engine format. There are great books on animation such as Animator's survival kit

or The Animator's Workbook: Step-By-Step Techniques of Drawn Animation

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement