Sign in to follow this  

OpenTNL

This topic is 3854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm looking at using the OpenTNL ( Torque Network Library ) www.opentnl.org For networking in my engine. So I was wondering what people thought of it, has anyone here used it?

Last distribution seems to be over 2 years old. Then again, boost isn't being published regularly either.

I strongly dislike the style. Macros, statics, hardcoded values. C basically. It doesn't mean it's bad, or performs poorly, but the style just doesn't apeal to me.

The good - I'd say it's well tested, looks like solid design (ever if very not C++ -like), seems to support the usual stuff.

I'm not sure about extensibility. It implies a lot about object structure and network behaviour. The design might offset that, since it looks like pretty capable RPC system, with both directional as well as pub/sub mechanisms transparently available.

The code also looks portable.

I don't know, I don't have experience with it, but given the pedigre and the looks of it, it's probably solid.

The library isn't small though, and support or help with issues might be hard to come by. The compact binding between the network and object layer, as well as the #define based serialization will tie you onto that library completely. It may also require a lot of rewrites if you want to use existing code.

OpenTNL is a fine solution; it's the same networking engine used in the Torque game engine, and traces its way back to Tribes 1 and 2. It does, however, impose a certain structure on your game objects, which you may or may not want.

The Forum FAQ lists a large number of libraries you could look into.

This topic is 3854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.