computer wiz?

Started by
7 comments, last by Derakon 16 years, 10 months ago
Well my question is do i need to know a lot about computers to get into game design or do they teach as you progress trough the course? cause im know they use macs instead of pc so if anyone can help me i would really apreciated.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by josue100
Well my question is do i need to know a lot about computers to get into game design or do they teach as you progress trough the course? cause im know they use macs instead of pc so if anyone can help me i would really apreciated.
Where did you hear they use macs? It's news to me...
Who are 'they', and which course exactly are we talking about?
With Microsoft Visual studio as good as it is I HIGHLY doubt that there are many game makers using macs. Maybe for maya or photoshop, but both of those run on windows too. I am starting to develop for linux and I still do it on a PC.

Anyway take a look at visual studio, they have a very capable free version.
Quote:Original post by josue100
do i need to know a lot about computers to get into game design or do they teach as you progress trough the course?

Comments about what I think are the two possible underlying questions.

- Usually, people who study complex things about programming know how to use a computer beforehand. However, if you start a course about something related to computers, you end up knowing how to use them anyway.

- To write a script you need to know how a movie is made. You can write a novel and then let someone make a movie with it. But then, a scriptwriter who knows how a movie is made will have to rebuild your novel.
To design a game, you need to know how a game is made. ...
Game development is easy if you're

a) Literate and
b) Patient.

It's just a lot of time and reading, your comprehension skills don't even need to be that up to scratch because a lot of books these days tend to speak to you like you're in primary school.

However you have to start from scratch (this is where patience comes in) if you're unwilling to go from Naughts and crosses, Ro sham bo, then pong you'll never make it. Back when I started here I made the mistake of thinking I could go from idea to fully playable RPG, it's been 2 years since I wanted to get into game design and I've only JUST started making a very simple RPG. However, if the indy game design field doesn't interest you then yes, there is a 'code illiterate' section of most professional gaming companies.

There's a plethora of people who don't code in contemporary games. Script writer and concept artist just to name two. I'm pretty sure there's even a position called 'Game designer' where you don't need any scripting knowledge. However, you would need to be pretty articulate and be a pretty good writer to crack into a position like that.

Oh, and the last thing you'll need is a Mac. No offense to the Mac users (hell, I have a mac... I just use my PC more) but Mac is a layman's computer.
I have extremely detailed and unique ideas for major projects, anyone interested in advanced programming, server setup (I have about five gigs of webspace at my disposal) and multimedia design should E-mail me at Fatimus@Gmail.com
Quote:Original post by Timus
Oh, and the last thing you'll need is a Mac. No offense to the Mac users (hell, I have a mac... I just use my PC more) but Mac is a layman's computer.

I disagree. I'm a Mac user and developer, and I find it's a perfect combination:
* Xcode suits me better than Visual Studio. Hell, it's even free!
* You already have those unix-tools you wish you had in Windows.
* The OS. Windows XP is a major pain in the ***.

I'd say the only reason you want Windows for developing is when you're using .NET or DirectX.

To the OP: Use whatever you want, Windows can be used, Macs can be used, even Linux can be used. Just have patience [smile]
Quote:Original post by pointer
Quote:Original post by Timus

I disagree. I'm a Mac user and developer, and I find it's a perfect combination:
* Xcode suits me better than Visual Studio. Hell, it's even free!
* You already have those unix-tools you wish you had in Windows.
* The OS. Windows XP is a major pain in the ***.

I'd say the only reason you want Windows for developing is when you're using .NET or DirectX.

To the OP: Use whatever you want, Windows can be used, Macs can be used, even Linux can be used. Just have patience [smile]

Hmm

Well, I'm running OS 10.2 and I've never found the flexibility on my Mac that I have on my PC.

I guess it's just a matter of perception and preference.
I have extremely detailed and unique ideas for major projects, anyone interested in advanced programming, server setup (I have about five gigs of webspace at my disposal) and multimedia design should E-mail me at Fatimus@Gmail.com
I'm writing my game on my Mac. I'm using:

* vim, and
* gcc

As a bonus, I get Linux compatibility almost for free! I think what this really shows is that you shouldn't be too worried about what platform you're working on. You can make games on just about anything. Of course, this is all mostly relevant for game implementation, not game design. You can design games with paper and whiteboards.

As far as the original poster is concerned, I would strongly recommend that you obtain some degree of technical expertise. Find an introductory programming course and take it. At the very least, contact the instructor of the course you're considering taking and ask her/him what kind of background their students should have. There's no point in taking a course that you aren't qualified to take.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement