• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teej

01.03 - Comments and Suggestions

73 posts in this topic

Dragon Shadow-X: WARNING: you won''t be able to use Win32 menus for full-screen DirectX games...

1. Go to File|New and create a new resource script

2. Right-click on the name of the script that appears in the main window, and select Insert Menu

3. Double-click on the menu location you wish to edit. Popups open new menus, and therefore don''t have IDs. Name the popup File and you''ll see a new entry below it appear

4. Double-click the new entry (below File) and enter an ID and caption (i.e. New...)

5. Save your script file, and make sure that you include RESOURCE.H in your other project files (that use resources)

Depending on whether or not you use MFC, you''ll either process menu commands via your Window Procedure (Win32) or through a message map (MFC). Details on command messages for both can be found in the online help.

Is that what you were looking for?

Teej

Heard about your trouble with hosting, I would suggest trying freedom2surf, I''ve been using their free hosting for about a year, and their servers have always worked fine for me. Plus, you don''t get any annoying banners or popups on your site. Good luck.

------------------
It''s me again!

Thanks a lot Teej! Now I just need to know how to attach that menu to my window. [the ways the 2 books I have on it don''t work and I can''t seem to find it in the online help for VC++]

Direct X 7 in 24hrs:
window.lpszMenuNam = MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDR_MENU1);
I do this and no errors but I get a window with no menu.

Game Programming for Dummies[teaches DX 5 though]:
they say make menu in a text file and attach it like this:

CreateWindow(......,LoadMenu(hInstance, "MYMENU"),....);

Which I don''t understand either and doesn''t work even when I copy everything they did exactly!

Also a question about ID''s. When I tried to make "E&xit" they had several name id''s already there, IDCLOSE, got my attention. But then windows didn''t recognize it until I #defined it and gave it a number. If I want to make my own ID like ID_EXIT or something do I #define it in the resource header myself and then fill the name "ID_EXIT" in under "ID:" when I''m making a menu under the graphical interface?

P>S>Yeah I knew I wouldn''t be able to make a menu for a full screen dx application. I''m experimenting with windowed programs. Will you ever be covering those? I''d like to make a game that can run full screen or in a window on the desktop.

When I do menus they seem to work, what I do is name them as a string, with qoutes around the resource name and specify that in wc.lpszMenuName, but MAKEINTRESOURCE should work if you havent used quotes.
I think the answer to your problem is also the answer to your second problem, visual c++ does make defines for all the integer values (menu name, and all the commands) and it plonks them in a header file for you. Just add #include "resource.h" at the top, and it should work fine.

Well since no one[not the guy who posted after me or Teej] is responding to my e-mails I''ll post here:

Can anyone explain to me what he means by "what I do is name them as a string, with qoutes around the resource name and specify that in wc.lpszMenuName, but MAKEINTRESOURCE should work if you havent used quotes." How does one name their menu as a string/or use MAKEINTRESOURCE?

I''m a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to menus. Can ANYONE give me an example of how they name their menu and how to attach it to the window? I''m soooo close to making a windowed app but none of the resources I have is any help with menu''s!!

Any help will be SERIOUSLY appreciated!

Shadow Dragon-X

Sorry I didn''t reply sooner, I was away on holiday. I just read the sentance that I posted and it just confuses me too.

What you do to make a menu:
1) design it

2) in the resource view on the left name the resource "Menu" or something like that with the qoutes, or MENU.

3) add to the top of the file: #include "rosource.h" - this has all the constants for the menu name / selections etc.

4) when you are setting up your window class add:
wc.szMenuName = "Menu"
or
wc.szMenuName = MAKEINTRESOURCE(MENU)
depemnding on how you named it in step 2

5) in the message handler (WndProc) when you are interpreting the message (in the switch(msg) section) add:

case WM_COMMAND:
switch(LOWORD(wParam))
{
case ID_FILE_NEW: // the ID for the menu item
// add your code for this menu item here
break;
case default:
break;
}

I realise that I may have gone on a bit, but I thought that I might as well be complete to help other people in the forum

Shadow Dragon-X I dont know if you're still confused about menus but if you are, I highly recommend the tutorial on:

http://www.winprog.org/

It is simply the best tutorial on basic windows programming in C++,it will explain to you intirely about MAKEINTRESOURCE. It may not cover any Direct-X but I think it will clear up alot of confusion for you.

You can also try the tutorials on:

http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/

But all though they cover alot of details with standard windows programming, they are in assembaly language and could easilly confuse you further. *I only recommend you use this as a last choice alternative, if you are still stuck (Or know assembaly)*

Crash,

We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success

Edited by - crash on August 26, 2001 7:31:10 AM

Great Job!

But I can''t find the second set(5+) of the tutorials... are they on this forum? A different page? Well I''ll keep looking, but I can''t find them anywhere.

Kaezin,

The 5+ tutorials were removed a few days ago. I guess TeeJ removed them to save making the forum too big. Unfortunately I have just got back from a long break, and have also missed them so TeeJ if you''re reading this, Im another member who would like to see those tutorials back again.

Crash,

We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success

Can''t way for next topics... Hope they''ll be back soon. won''t they, Teej??

Yeah, what happened to Teej? He get run over by a train or something? When was his last post?

Chris Barry

Here''s a suggestion, which most may take with a grain of salt. Now, I understand Teej''s game projects are both to do a game and to learn while doing it, but how about a section where any user could propose a game project, people could join said project, and could then learn through that? I know there are people on many different programming levels, but if a project is solid enough, even the most novice programmer could chip in a few lines or so if the project leader is good enough. What do other people think of something like this? It''d be for learning purposes only, of course, no pay, and don''t expect to be paid, but it could be great experience for a lot of people, if anyone still checks these forums, that is.

Piotyr
Software Engineer by day, Game developer by night

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

i think that is a great idea Piotyr
would be of great help for alot of the less experienced programmers (myself included) to feel a part of a project that would be out of reach for the indivdual i dont know if i would be out of bounds to start a new topic but if one is created you can garentee ill be posting in it

asylum in cali

You rock Teej,

Thanks for the great tutorials. You''ve helped many aspiring people.

Thanks,

-- Darin

Keep the flow of DirectX and Win32 flowing please. You can never know enough of DirectX and Win32.

-joe

Defending the Free World, One Electron at a Time.

URL: http://www.zeroxfour.com *Site Under Construction*

*Stationed Currently in Iwakuni, Japan.*

good on ya teej!
appreciate the opportunity to persue what i love most
you deserve a lot of credit mate
good luck, and may our paths cross oneday

hey i wonder something!
Teej are we gonna make a D3D app or another DD app next project?
I would really like to do both (i know. you are only person).

maybe now would be a good time for everyone to say what we should learn next very involved (and complicated: physics, AI, alpha blending(?)) 2D game, a 3D rendered 2D game, a 3D game or a mod?

drop the line

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

Hello! I am a newbie here and I need some help. Where can I found a great tutorial for D3D 8s alpha blending?

Teej,

Just wanted to say a big, "Thank you!", for helping so many aspiring games programmers, on the road to fulfilling their dreams.

--hellz

Will any one be doing a c#/Direct3D(9.0) that is what i want.

Hi,my name is AlexZander and am currently creating a mod for Quake 1,(I''m going to put a vehicle in it like a Warthog!) but first I need to learn C++ sooo....
could anyone direct me to C++ turtoiral like this-a-one?
Thanx, and...
Great Job!
Boo-yah!