APIs for a Game Engine

Started by
3 comments, last by RyanZec 16 years, 10 months ago
I am building a game engine and getting a list together of APIs I can use to help with developer some of the part of my engine. Some part of the engine I don't want to have to send a lot of time on and just want to bring in a open source API the help speed up, basically just building a interface of my engine to use the open source API. Here is a list of "section" of code that I think we are going to have to build: NOTE: One thing that is important about this is the license needs to allow me to release their source code in my commercial product(the game engine). I am going to have 2 types of releases for the engine. First that is the cheapest is access to the engine through .dll files and .exes, no source code. The second which is more money is the same as the first but full access to the source code. Rendering Engine: This is something I do want to build from the ground up with DX9, DX10, OpenGL(starting with one and then the next and so on) Sound Engine: I found a nice API called Fmodex however their license it unworkable for me. The money in no the problem, it is that I can't release their code in my project If I sell it. I really don't want to build this from scratch with DX9 DX10 and/or OpenAL but I can't find anything like Fmodex with a good license. Physics Engine: This I would not be able to build a good one if I wanted to since I don't know physics at any advance level. I think I will use Bullets Physics API since it is free and has the prefect license as I can release their code in my commercial engine without any worries. Networking Engine: I also do not want to build this from scratch build have not been able to find any. Memory Management: Would be nice to have a helper class for this. File Maniplution: Someone suggested this, not sure why tho. Resource Handling(3d model files, map files, etc...): Would be nice to have support for exist 3d model files quickly Scripting Language: I don't want to build this myself. I think I will use AngelScript. It has the same license as Bullets Physics API and follow C++ syntax closely which I like. If anyone know of any APIs for these sections and allow for me to sell my engine with their code included in the license, please let me know with the name and link is possible. Other thing that is a plus is if it in Cross-Platform [Edited by - RyanZec on May 29, 2007 9:53:47 PM]
Advertisement
For networking you can also use WinSock, however i have no experience in networking programming so i wouldn't know which would would be the better choice.

[Edited by - ExcessNeo on May 29, 2007 3:42:08 PM]
Quote:Original post by ExcessNeo
For networking you can also use WinSock or DirectPlay, however i have no experience in networking programming so i wouldn't know which would would be the better choice.

Quote:msdn.microsoft.com
Warning: Microsoft DirectPlay has been deprecated. Deprecated components of Microsoft DirectX 9.0 for Managed Code are considered obsolete. While these components are still supported in this release of DirectX 9.0 for Managed Code, they may be removed in the future. When writing new applications, you should avoid using these deprecated components. When modifying existing applications, you are strongly encouraged to remove any dependency on these components.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
Quote:Original post by ExcessNeo
For networking you can also use WinSock or DirectPlay, however i have no experience in networking programming so i wouldn't know which would would be the better choice.

Quote:msdn.microsoft.com
Warning: Microsoft DirectPlay has been deprecated. Deprecated components of Microsoft DirectX 9.0 for Managed Code are considered obsolete. While these components are still supported in this release of DirectX 9.0 for Managed Code, they may be removed in the future. When writing new applications, you should avoid using these deprecated components. When modifying existing applications, you are strongly encouraged to remove any dependency on these components.

Ah so DirectPlay truely was as bad as people said. Ill remove that suggestion from my post. Still not quite upto networking :-p
Another one that comes to mind is also a scripting language. I think I am going to go with AngelScript for the engine scripting language since it is close to C++ syntax and license allows for release of source code in a commercial product.

I also think I will go with Bullet for Physics API they also have a license allows for release of source code in a commercial product.

[Edited by - RyanZec on May 29, 2007 8:45:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement