Making GBA 2D Game,, Where to start???

Started by
42 comments, last by Storm_WHM 16 years, 10 months ago
My team is making a game for Playstation2 and we need to know some basics.. Like what programs work best with playstation2.. My programmer knows C++, SDL he is beginner in OpenGL.. What kind of programs should we get into to start making this game to allow it to be used on playstation2 console? [Edited by - Storm_WHM on June 1, 2007 7:43:13 AM]
Advertisement
a) your game will NOT WORK with OGL.
b) you're gonna have to scour the Internet for some homebrew solution to your issue.
c) if professional programmers, complained and gnashed teeth over how hard it is to program for the PS2, then knowing the basics won't help you much.
d) I'd try programming for the Dreamcast, GBA, or GP32 (especially). Much easier.
e) Good luck.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Not sure how good the info is, but have you checked out ps2dev.org?
If you go the Linux on ps2 route SDL_image, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer are all available. I am not sure about the main SDL libraries I have seen a lot of old forum post about people porting them to the ps2.

good luck with your project
the homebrew PS2 tools are not the easiest to work with.
Black CloakEpee Engine.
What about PSP handheld.. What sort of programs should we use if we decide to go this route? Would it be easier to create a 2d isometric rpg on this console. (probably) and thank you guys for your help as well.
Quote:Original post by Storm_WHM
What about PSP handheld.. What sort of programs should we use if we decide to go this route? Would it be easier to create a 2d isometric rpg on this console. (probably) and thank you guys for your help as well.

Read my 1st post. Same thing applies.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

It'll be hard on both platforms, because to get it to run on unmodified consoles you have to get Sony's approval and pay them a load of money for licensing.

Check out this page on console development to see more about development for game consoles.

If you're just learning how to write games, then this is not the place for you. Build your game on PC.
Quote:Original post by Storm_WHM

PSP's probably more do-able. devkitpro has toolchains for the PSP, but no documentation for them that I've ever seen. There's probably some PSP homebrew sites out there if you take a look.

Granted, if you're just now learning SDL/OpenGL, then that indicates that you don't have nearly the experience which will be required to get along nicely with the tools. If devkitPSP is anything like devkitNDS, then you'll be working with a GCC cross-compiler and a bunch of practically undocumented libraries of various quality, in addition to direct interaction with the hardware via memory-mapped registers.

It's messy as fuck, and that's after you get everything set up properly. This applies for development on not only any console, but I would extend the assertion to any non-native platform.

But whatever.
The one console I have had the easiest time using with SDL is the Nintendo DS with devkitpro. Most of the SDL libs have been ported and the compiler and tool set are easy setup and use. The DreamCast probably has the most support for SDL and Opengl thanks to DreamCast SDL lib but setting the compiler is difficult to setup and use.

[Edited by - blackcloak on May 31, 2007 4:20:41 PM]
Black CloakEpee Engine.
OK... GBA you say... Damn theres so much to take in account when making a game.. Liscenses and multi programs.. and console capabilities... So Does anyone have any additional information of making game with GBA??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement