Game Idea.. Insight Needed

Started by
13 comments, last by Smashey 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Smashey
This game, as far as I know, is one of a kind.

...third person shooting MMORPG...shooting tactics, and RP tactics ...based in the future on a different colonized planet...Every character has high tech armor ...Guns are the main form of combat...melee weapons for small use like a dagger...classes...mass pvp...build weapons and armor...

Sounds like the MMOFPSRPG Face of Mankind, except there are no skill advancements in FOM (only equipment, social status) and no vehicles.

I suggest you try out FOM (if you can afford it, and have broadband), theres a lot of good idea's in their game that are simmilar to your ideas, but FOM has executed a lot of them very poorly so I think you could learn from their mistakes.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Palidine

...What actually makes them have fun is when they have to make hard choices: give up Awesome Ability A so they can have Awesome Ability B. They want both but can only have one...

-me

That's some good info in that part. In my opinion, this is what makes the player think about the game even when she/he's done playing for the day.

Keep working on your design, in a few years after high school you can maybe join or start an indie team and start building this in a small scale :)

Good luck

One title for you ..
Planetside!!

Every played that one?? explains why there are no more FPS MMO's after that one .
I played it for a month or 2 but it was really irritating . you could own vehicles and upgrades and such .. not much RP though but the basics are the same .
The problem was that with connections (i have a 20mbit line) and mmo aspect wereyou kept missing everything!!
I had almost constant trouble with bombing and sniping .. imagine luring the enemy onto a bridge and pounding bombs on them...
On your screen it makes sense.. but in real time they were actually well over the bridge and you bombed the bridge itself.. WOEPS
Sniping is almost impossible because you have a lag.. and any kind of lag in sharpshooting is a miss

These problems occur during an mmofps.So you'd have to spend loads of cash on a decent server that has the best connection possible world over...
If you ask the usual 12,50 dollars. you'd needmore players than WOW to even keep it rolling .
So it's a big risk to take .

(figures why planetside didn't have a server in europe)
The Lag is the game killer here .

Also first try and build it with a team before you go public to a developer .
They will probably just shred it as mentioned before if you do not have some sort of credentials.
What i Do with RPG is a different strategy .

I make Modules For NWN1 & 2 if those stories are succesfulkl we draw people in for a main open source project (already working on it)

If the game is a success the same group working on the game beforee will have some sort of reputation or to put a game on their resume . By than we maybe can form our own company or establish a better reputation in the industry ..

This could work but it demands allot of hard work, determination and devotion to what you do . if that show's in your work.. maybe.. you got a shot
To the guy above me, Planetside never lagged, it was 100% your computer. I played the game for 2 years on a DSL connection using a top of the line computer and never experienced lag. Bombing and sniping are very easy in the game, but take skill. Yeah, it sucks to play that game with a bad computer because it seems like your lagging when you're not. When you're playing it with 200 frames per second, the game is just like playing a single player fps game, no lag and everything is awesome with 200 or more people fighting. I can understand your misconception about the game though as on my friends experienced a little bit of the same thing, he has a high end gaming system when the game came out but it just wasn't enough so he has 30-60 fps and at times it seemed like it lagged on his computer when it really didn't. :(

On the topic though more so, MMOFPS games are possible, but they require a huge server normally to keep them running and loads of bandwidth. It would take a long time to create a game like what you are probably thinking of.

Just keep your idea secret or work on it by yourself. That's what I do with mine. Also if your design document is small it probably doesn't have much too it. I keep most of my ideas on paper or in my head so my finalized DD is only 28 pages.

I can imagine you've thought this through a lot but if you're not a programmer then it's hard to compensate or know of some downfalls to some game strategies.

For instance you want large scale PVP, that's great, but if you have a Technical Document then you'd have to explain how the server would compensate for the bandwidth and CPU costs. Like maybe say they are corridor fights which can be portal culled and reduce bandwidth significantly. Depends though from game to game though. Also concept art is good to have.
Everyone, thanks for your help. I've considered my options and I'm thinking of trying to get a team together in the future to pull this off, or maybe create a small project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement