Game Idea.. Insight Needed

Started by
13 comments, last by Smashey 16 years, 10 months ago
For about 6 months I've been working on an MMO project. Now, of course, you could be immediately thinking that I will never pull this off. I'm not. I've been working on a game document, and I plan on presenting it to a game corporation. But I've somewhat ran out of ideas, and I need more insight on what I could add. I won't explain in depth about what I currently have, because I want this game to be unique so far and I don't want someone coming in and making a somewhat similar game. Details: This game, as far as I know, is one of a kind. I have yet to see a third person shooting MMORPG. It has shooting tactics, and RP tactics built in. It's based in the future on a different colonized planet (Earth was overrun with infected insane people, kind of like 28 days later) The year when you begin is 2830. Every character has high tech armor (not going into upgradable details) Guns are the main form of combat. (Deciding on this one) - There may be melee weapons for small use like a dagger, or blades on the forearms on the armor. Also: -working on classes, so far a closerange,midrange,and longrange class, may be divided into subgroups -lots of skill advancements and your character will advance (physically and mentally) -mass pvp -You can own vehicles and actually build your own -You can also build weapons and (maybe) armor. There's a shitload more to this game. I do, however, need the insight of others. The features are only my view of the game, but I also want to see yours. I want this to be a game where everyone is happy and they have what they could possibly want. If you ask more about this game, I will tell you, I just don't want someone to take my ideas. But what I DO need is helpful insight and ideas. I have not completed this document, but it has many pictures and UI sketches (I'm somewhat skilled in Photoshop). so, do you think you can contribute to the project? It will mean a lot to me.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Smashey
and I plan on presenting it to a game corporation.

You can stop right there. Unless you either have 3 professionally published titles (that were profitable) or you have 3-5+ years working in the industry no one will even take a meeting with you to hear your idea.

Sad and lame reality, but that's how it goes. The industry doesn't care about ideas; they care about finished games or people with a proven track record. A good team of proven people can make a profitable game out of any idea out there. A good idea from unproven people is just a liability.

Now if you're just interested in working on this for your own edification then I'm sure people will be more than happy to comment on your design but you'll have to reveal more of it.

-me

Quote:Original post by Palidine
and I plan on presenting it to a game corporation.

You can stop right there. Unless you either have 3 professionally published titles (that were profitable) or you have 3-5+ years working in the industry no one will even take a meeting with you to hear your idea.

Sad and lame reality, but that's how it goes. The industry doesn't care about ideas; they care about finished games or people with a proven track record. A good team of proven people can make a profitable game out of any idea out there. A good idea from unproven people is just a liability.

Now if you're just interested in working on this for your own edification then I'm sure people will be more than happy to comment on your design but you'll have to reveal more of it.

-me

I see, but is it not possible that it may be some certain companies? It would depend. I could send them the idea and they could like it enough to the extent that they could try to make it. Possibility.

But if not, I do plan on still working on it, because when I get out of highschool (3 more years yay) and then college, and a couple of years of game design school, I plan on going into the gaming industry. I'm set and I've been set since I was 10.

I would still like feedback and ideas though.

The situation's actually even worse than that. Even if you just send your idea to some game company in the mail, I don't know a single one that would not immediately shred it.

This is for legal reasons - the moment they actually read your design they're potentially in a lot of trouble. If they just so happen to be already making a game that bares even the slightest resemblance to something in your design, and they then go on to release that game, then they risk that you'll sue them for stealing your idea. If they read it then they could be putting themselves into a situation where they have to buy the idea from you, regardless of whether it's any good, just so that you can't sue them later.

The only way they can avoid that scenario - not just in your case but for every one of the hundreds of idea submissions they receive every year - is to have a strict policy of shred-on-sight.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Actually, I'm not really into the money. I'm WAY more into actually playing the game.
I see, but is it not possible that it may be some certain companies? It would depend. I could send them the idea and they could like it enough to the extent that they could try to make it. Possibility.

Nope. Not possible. Not any company.

I would still like feedback and ideas though.

I want this to be a game where everyone is happy and they have what they could possibly want.

That's a pretty big red flag already. Everyone is happy and has what they want when they are overpowered and can wield ultimate power (or at least that's what they'll tell you). What actually makes them have fun is when they have to make hard choices: give up Awesome Ability A so they can have Awesome Ability B. They want both but can only have one.

Otherwise there are lots of techinical problems with FPS MMOs (which is why you don't see any). For an FPS you need really low latency for fast & accurate shooting of projectiles. An MMO can't really offer low enough latency for good FPS gameplay. However, you can make firing a bullet much like firing a spell in another MMO -> select a target, hit a button, hit or miss is decided based on a dice roll or something.

Beyond that you need a whole lot more information to get good feedback. How do you build stuff, why do you want to build stuff. What are the limitations on resources, how is skill advanced, what are the different professions, how are they all equal, what makes the professions fun to advance, etc. In short, you have a brief description of content with zero description of game mechanics. It's the latter that make a game good, the former just adds zest. So please describe the mechanics and then you can get some better feedback.

-me
Actually, I'm not really into the money. I'm WAY more into actually playing the game.

Doesn't matter. The game companies do care about the money - otherwise they wouldn't last very long - and while you may have the best intentions and promise not to sue, scout's honour, cross your heart, etc - they have no way of knowing that you won't turn around and decide that you'd like a piece of the $70million they just made on their newly released title.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I understand. This discussion is swaying my thoughts to keeping the idea until I'm older (that's a tough one). But I will love more insight on this idea.
I understand. This discussion is swaying my thoughts to keeping the idea until I'm older (that's a tough one).
That's likely for the best.

If you get hired as a game designer some years from now, and one day you get pulled into the studio head's office and he says "We want to make an MMO. Got any ideas?" then you'll have a chance to wheel it out. (Any ideas that you "come up with" while you're working for a studio tend to be the property of that studio).

Failing that, if you make some really rich friends, you might be able to get the money together to hire programmers, artists, designers, etc - form your own project to make the game. It takes tens of millions of dollars, but it's the one way to "get a game made the way you want."

Otherwise there are lots of techinical problems with FPS MMOs (which is why you don't see any). For an FPS you need really low latency for fast & accurate shooting of projectiles. An MMO can't really offer low enough latency for good FPS gameplay. However, you can make firing a bullet much like firing a spell in another MMO -> select a target, hit a button, hit or miss is decided based on a dice roll or something.

Beyond that you need a whole lot more information to get good feedback. How do you build stuff, why do you want to build stuff. What are the limitations on resources, how is skill advanced, what are the different professions, how are they all equal, what makes the professions fun to advance, etc. In short, you have a brief description of content with zero description of game mechanics. It's the latter that make a game good, the former just adds zest. So please describe the mechanics and then you can get some better feedback.

-me

Well I did happen to level out the class field.
So far, I have 3 classes. They might be divided into subgroups, but I'm working on that.
1. A Vanguard class ("Heavy Armored", basically the tank) - It's balanced out because although they hold the heaviest armor and weapons (like 2 ton armor and a halfton weighing weapon) they have slightly decreased speed, and they're only more accurate from a close-range perspective
2. The mid-range (no name =/) - They can hold average weighted armor and weapons, and they are more accurate from mid-range.
3. The ghost (very beast name) - This class, on the otherhand, is deadly accurate from longrange. I'm talking like maybe a mile away from the target. Since weapons are customizable, they have a large range of sniper rifles, and attachments, making a scope that powerful possible.

That's how I'm doing it for now. Subject to change.

For skills, I've been thinking that each level they would gain skill exp to invest into a skill they desired. After a couple of minutes they would learn said skill and acquire it's talent.

This is an idea. In the beginning of the game, when you create a character, you would not choose the class. You would begin as a Recruit and have a standard SMG and field knife. You would have no body armor, so you would only be subject to HP, not unlike having Shield Points and Armor Points. After you level, you would use your skill exp into a category, depending on the class you wanted. Then that would be when your skill panel would change, allowing access to class only skills.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement