Sign in to follow this  
nic3a

Help with Senior Project

Hi my name is Nic Adkins; I'm a senior in a high school in small town Woodburn Oregon. We're doing senior projects and I had chosen to do mine on what makes a game great. My problem is that I neglected to have an interview with a professional in the field. My question is if any professional in the game development field would be willing to anyswer my interview questions. If this were at all possible it would be a great deal of help seeing it's due by tuesday and i'm in a crunch. Thank you. Here are my interview questions: 1. What was the hardest part about getting into the career you’re in now? 2. What do you believe makes a game great? 3. What is the most important thing to you about your career? 4. What advice would you give someone going into your field? 5. What does it take to do your job well? 6. When you take on a project, what do you need to do in order to be successful? 7. How large of a factor does experience have in your career? 8. When applying for a job what are things you would need to remember? 9. How important is your job to your life and why? 10. If there was one thing you could change when you were a student what would it be and why? PS if you chose to answer them could you please provide your name and who you work for thanks a bunch.

For the purpose of these questions I'll assume you mean my career in the game industry. My position has changed a lot in the last 6 years, so I'll speak as best as I can from memory of my first year or two in the industry.

1. What was the hardest part about getting into the career you’re in now?

The hardest part was demonstrating to game companies that I had the skills and experience necessary to do the job well. Most game companies were not hiring Jr. Programmers at the time, so I had to be very persistent even to get an interview or an opportunity to take the programming test at most companies. It took me 6 straight months of sending resumes and re-contacting HR managers before I was able to get an interview.

2. What do you believe makes a game great?

Ultimately, I believe entertainment value is what makes a great game. Something that allows you to be interactive, while being amused. Players should step away from the game feeling satisfied, like in the short period of time they played, their fun factor had filled its quota. Ironically, this is an open ended question, as what is entertaining to some, is not entertaining to others.

3. What is the most important thing to you about your career?

For me, it's helping others. As a Tools Programmer making games, I truly enjoy the look and response I get from artists and designers when I provide the features they need to make their jobs easier and their days more enjoyable.

4. What advice would you give someone going into your field?

Know your field, be persistent, and be proud of your skills. The club of professional game programmers is small indeed, and those that do well at their chosen career are among the most talented programmers in the world.

5. What does it take to do your job well?

Patience, good programming, and good communication skills. Often tools programmers act as intermediaries between designers, artists, and the engine team. You have to know how to negotiate the needs of all three.

6. When you take on a project, what do you need to do in order to be successful?

Listen to those who benefit most from your services. As a tools programmer there is often pressure by the brass to develop archaic, unnecessary tools which will serve little purpose in the long run. Don't be afraid to say so (politely). Make sure the tools you're asked to implement are coming from the mouths of the people who will be using them.

7. How large of a factor does experience have in your career?

It's paramount. Programming in general, and game programming in specific is an endless grind of problem solving, day in...and day out. The more time you've spent programming, the more problems you've solved, the more capable you become at solving similar or related problems.

8. When applying for a job what are things you would need to remember?

Be professional, be polite, and most of all be prepared. Know your stuff, and have tech demos or completed games available to show you know what you're doing.

9. How important is your job to your life and why?

That's a difficult question. My job is important to me as it's a large part of my day. With that being said, you should always put your friends, family, and health before your job. You can always find a new job, or even a new career if necessary. But those you care about most, including yourself, are indispensable.

10. If there was one thing you could change when you were a student what would it be and why?

I would have focused more on my math and graphics courses. At the time I was far more interested in learning theory and artificial intelligence. So I didnt spend nearly enough time making sure I'd mastered the math and computer graphics skills which I now use on a daily basis. Make sure you go to classes to LEARN, not to get a grade. When the class is over the grade dissapears...but the knowledge you gain (or miss out on) is there forever.

PS if you chose to answer them could you please provide your name and who you work for thanks a bunch.

Name: Jeromy Walsh
Title: Lead Tools Programmer
Current Company: *Unannounced Startup - I cant say
Previous Companies: Liquid Entertainment, Pandemic Studios
Previous Titles: Lord of The Rings: War of the Ring, Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard, Star Wars Battlefront, Mercenaries

Hope I answered your questions well enough. I'm sure many other developers will have far more eloquent answers, but this is what I got for ya. =)

Cheers!

Quote:
Original post by jwalsh
Quote:
Original post by Crypter
Please no crossposting

He just joined today. Stop being a tattletale.

Rules are rules. Cross-posting is prohibited because it makes it harder for the community, as a whole, to participate in a single conversation (since it's fragmented in multiple threads).

Here's the other thread.

Closed.