Help with Senior Project

Started by
3 comments, last by nic3a 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi my name is Nic Adkins; I'm a senior in a high school in small town Woodburn Oregon. We're doing senior projects and I had chosen to do mine on what makes a game great. My problem is that I neglected to have an interview with a professional in the field. My question is if any professional in the game development field would be willing to anyswer my interview questions. If this were at all possible it would be a great deal of help seeing it's due by tuesday and i'm in a crunch. Thank you. Here are my interview questions: 1. What was the hardest part about getting into the career you’re in now? 2. What do you believe makes a game great? 3. What is the most important thing to you about your career? 4. What advice would you give someone going into your field? 5. What does it take to do your job well? 6. When you take on a project, what do you need to do in order to be successful? 7. How large of a factor does experience have in your career? 8. When applying for a job what are things you would need to remember? 9. How important is your job to your life and why? 10. If there was one thing you could change when you were a student what would it be and why? PS if you chose to answer them could you please provide your name and who you work for thanks a bunch.
Advertisement
A real interview is not going to consist of the interviewee just providing answers to a set of pre-baked questions; it's a discussion with the interviewer which may go off on illuminating tangents. It's an attempt to convey the real life of whatever the interviewee specializes in every bit as much as it is an attempt to be informative. What you get from a written response is typically a totally different style from what you get from a spoken one, too.

For that matter, there aren't a lot of "real" game developers on this board (by which I mean professional game developers), since they tend to not have a lot of spare time and probably would have a few legal issues with reading whatever ideas people post up here. We're mostly all hobbyists. Some of us are particularly dedicated hobbyists, mind you, but a bare handful have actually finished anything. I certainly haven't.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue your project, but you may need to adjust your approach.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Point taken but right now it's not really a matter of it being an interview that was my bad on useing the wrong word. It's mostly just some feedback to show that i had gotten a little look at what a pro might say. Really i just want to graduate and need this componant. Fact is i need someone to answer these questions and they really don't have to be a professional but have a career related to the subject. ty again.
Nice A wrote:

>1. What was the hardest part about getting into the career you’re in now?

Actually, I fell into it accidentally. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson18.htm

>2. What do you believe makes a game great?

- Addictive gameplay
- Emotional hook
- Triple-A sales

>3. What is the most important thing to you about your career?

The enjoyment and satisfaction.

>4. What advice would you give someone going into your field?

Learn how to ask good questions.

>5. What does it take to do your job well?

Me. (^_^)

>6. When you take on a project, what do you need to do in order to be successful?

Apply myself assiduously.

>7. How large of a factor does experience have in your career?

Huge. I'm a producer and designer.

>8. When applying for a job what are things you would need to remember?

I need to remember who I'm talking to, and what he's looking for.

>9. How important is your job to your life and why?

Very. Because it's what I know and love.

>10. If there was one thing you could change when you were a student what would it be and why?

I'd work harder at that Psychology class.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank You that helped alot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement