Sign in to follow this  
thellis

FarCry vs. Neverwinter Nights

I've decided to go ahead and start making a mod for an RPG, rather than start out on a full blown game. I've downloaded both of these demos, but it would take a LONG time to compare and contrast the 2 from just what resources I have available. Would someone be able to help me out, or provide some insight into where I could go to read up on various RPG's or game engines that allow "easy(ish)" modding? Other suggestions for base software is accepted with open arms, as I don't often use any of these types of games.

The first thing would probably to decide for yourself what features you want your mod to portray. Then find the game to use as a base, Far Cry and Never Winter Nights are two completely different games. Do you want it to be first person for instance? The best thing for a starter would probably be to choose a game that is in the same genre, as they tend to use some of the same features. But with that being said, if you are into programming and like a challenge, then converting an FPS to for instance a third person adventure game could be a valuable source of learing. Did that myself last year with Half Life 2 and it was very fun. If you choose an RPG game to mod then a game like Oblivion also have an SDK for modding.

Umm...FarCry is an FPS, so making an RPG out of it may pose some challenges.

The NWN tool set seems decent from what I've seen, and the game has a large community to boot, so starting with that may not be a bad choice. The Edler Scrolls series also have some tools available to play around with, so that's an option.

Half-Life 2 and UT are also common choices to mod, so you may want to look into them, but I think it would be a lot harder to make an RPG in either.

I'm aware that FarCry is FPS, but it was suggested due to it's ability to handle large terrain exceedingly well. But perhaps it's not worth the work... Just took a look at some of the stuff available for it and tried to plan something out in my head... to no avail lol. Generally, I can "see" where I'm going when coding... Not generally good if I can't :P