Can't find SDL Libraries for Linux on libsdl.org

Started by
6 comments, last by anylo 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I want am using Linux (Ubuntu to be specific), I can't find libraries on libsdl.org (it only has a link for .rpm file which doesn't run on Ubuntu by default). and the link to the debian site opens a page witha hundreds of links, any help would be much appreciated... Regards, MI
Advertisement
On Ubuntu you should use Synaptic to install/uninstall packages. I'm sure that it has a SDL entry.

Of course, Synaptic is just a front end for apt, so you can also use apt directly to install SDL.
Or you could get alien and convert it into a deb package :)
Thanks a lot buddies...

I have installed alien, and in the mean time, I have finally dug up the link for debian's .deb file, it's available at (just in case someone doesn't want to install alien): http://packages.debian.org/stable/libdevel/libsdl1.2-dev

Regards,
MI
Since you run Ubuntu you should install SDL with your package manager. You need to install both sdl and sdl-devel. Using debian packages with Ubuntu is not such a good idea.
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
Also, you can go to packages.debian.org and search there for what it's called.
Quote:Original post by Perost
Since you run Ubuntu you should install SDL with your package manager. You need to install both sdl and sdl-devel. Using debian packages with Ubuntu is not such a good idea.

It probably brakes everything and makes the user whine "Now this linux is so bad OS!"

Always check(* Ubuntu's repositories first (and enable universe/multiverse repositories if you haven't done it already), you'll find 97% of the required development libraries there.

EDIT:
(* Open Synaptic and type SDL in the Search or type
apt-cache search SDL
in console.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement