New and Confused

Started by
5 comments, last by Zepx 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I have been struggling lately, because I am very confused. Its not that simple as I thought, but I was wondering, what kind of language is more suitable in to programming normal softwares? (I am learning C++, but under C++, there have DirectX, API, OpenGL and etc..) I just Don't know which to pick... basically I just want to create a normal program (.exe) in the form of windows application.. instead of console... I really need an answer for this... it has been haunting me for nearly 2 years and yet to get an answer. Thank you.
Advertisement
uhm...you've been learning directX and OpenGL in console? Must be a very slow process ;)

I don't quite get your question. Do you want to make windows applications like calculator or excel or whatever? If so, C++ may not be ideal, and I'd recommend you looked towards something like WPF or C#.
Quote:
but under C++, there have DirectX, API, OpenGL and etc..)

Those are APIs, not languages.

Quote:
asically I just want to create a normal program (.exe) in the form of windows application.. instead of console...

C++ can do this. Look into the Win32 API (lots of information at msdn.microsoft.com).
If you want to create normal software (ie software that is NOT graphical intense games ) I would use C#/Mono it is very easy to create a GUI windows app. If you want some thing a little more in c++ you mite look at wxWidgets. Opengl and DirectX are a little over kill when creating not graphical intense programs.
Black CloakEpee Engine.
Get Visual C++ 2005 Express from msdn.

It is still free, even for commercial use (I believe - this may have changed.) It can make Win32 applications, though you have to go through a few steps to enable this kind of project (google "using visual C++ 2005 express with the windows platform sdk" and I think you'll find the instructions.)

DirectX and OpenGL are basically just collections of .lib and .h files that your programs can link to to use DirectX/OpenGL features. They aren't languages.
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
Quote:Original post by Zepx
I have been struggling lately, because I am very confused. Its not that simple as I thought, but I was wondering, what kind of language is more suitable in to programming normal softwares? (I am learning C++, but under C++, there have DirectX, API, OpenGL and etc..)

With C++ you can do any kind of program you want (with rare exceptions). When you get to know C++ the rest are just libraries (think of them literally as libraries). They contain a huge lot of code made by other people for specific tasks. DirectX and OpenGL, for example, are large amounts of code to make graphically intensive applications, like games.

That code is made with C++ (often), it has no difference with the code you could learn yourself. However, most people don't think of remaking code for the same things, they use the existing libraries.

People have to learn how to use those libraries because they are quite large and have a lot of functionality. However, with experience, it becomes easier and easier to use functionality made by others.

Anyway, don't worry about those. Learn C++ and I guarantee you it will not be lost knowledge. It's like learning to paint compared to learning to use a paintbrush. You might start using a airbrush later, but you'll still need to know how to paint.

[Edit] In the time it took me to answer, four other people came to help too. [smile] I like this place.
Thanks guys, yea basically I am trying to learn to write Windows Application with C++, this is because I am trying to start off with basic windows application programming then moving to gaming, so I would know slightly abit on Windows Application (could ease my work when generating files and etc in the future).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement