Sign in to follow this  
devronious

MDX Prereq...

I would just include the necessary Microsoft.DirectX.* files in the folder along with your exe. It will add a bit to your download (About 2MB) but you know it will work. I would also include the d3dx9_3x.dll (About 2.2MB).

Others will probably say to include the appropriate redist installer.

Quote:
Original post by Headkaze
I would just include the necessary Microsoft.DirectX.* files in the folder along with your exe. It will add a bit to your download (About 2MB) but you know it will work. I would also include the d3dx9_3x.dll (About 2.2MB).

Others will probably say to include the appropriate redist installer.

That's against the EULA, AFAIK. The D3DX DLL must be installed with DirectSetup according to the EULA, and I'd assume MDX assemblies are the same. Among other things, you also need .NET installed.

I'd recommend distributing a webinstaller for DirectX, and the MDX redistributables with your installer, and having the installer invoke installations of those. As for .Net, I don't think theres a webinstaller, and the package is 50mb, so you'd be best off detecting it's missing and asking the user to get it off windows update.

Hope this helps.

Headkaze,

Thanks, it's a super idea, but I think Sirob is right about the EULA. I will need to point to their installer.

Sirob,

I'm unsure how to check to see of MDX and Net2.0 are installed. Is there a tut for such things?

Thanks,

Devin

Check Local Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy, it should be enough to tell what version frameworks are installed. I'm not sure how to find out about MDX. Perhaps searching in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for a version of MDX could work?