Help defining my game design

Started by
1 comment, last by Coragi 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, my name is Danilo and I am a Oracle DBA from Brazil. I'm graduated in Computer Science and have good skills in C and Java. Sorry for any english errors. I want to make a MMORPG (wait! don't stop reading here, give me a chance), but I know it is very hard, so I will make a smaller game first so I can get used with all technology necessary to create a nice game. I've already made some games in BASIC when I was a kid and last year I had AI classes and made some 2D space games using basic AI using Java. I decided to use XNA know, so I bought two books of C# and XNA. So I think the technology won't be a problem. The real problem for me is the Game Design! I have the idea, I don't have problem with the technology but I am afraid that if I don't make a good planning before start programming, I will lose a lot of time. I will make a horizontal scroll shooting game (Metal Slug like), so I've already defined these items: - Story - Four main chars - Guns, lot of guns (Neo, Matrix) :-D - Power ups - Enemies (those bastards!) - Scenario - Bosses - Main objective (you have a time-limit to complete the level) - Background music and sound special effects So, what more do you think I will need? Does anyone have a document model that I can guide myself? Any tips, any suggestions? Thank you all for any help! Coragi
XNA Brasil Dev -> http://xnabrasildev.blogspot.com (in portuguese, but I will start to post in english)One Winning Eleven to rule them all!
Advertisement
While it is a start, your list is quite vauge. Game Design Documents,
assuming you are attempting to make, should describe *every* detail:

-What is the story about? Who are the main characters? Target Audience?
-What features make your game different then other games?
-What types of guns? Are their any limitations on their uses?
-What are "power ups", and what do they do?

etc..

This might help in this reguard

"What more do we think you need?"

Let the bounderies of your imagination and the limitations of computers decide that! [smile]
Hi, thank you very much for your answer. About those items I wrote, I have them specified, I just didn't write here. The story, main chars and etc. are well-defined.

This link you wrote is great and it will be very usefull. Thanks.
XNA Brasil Dev -> http://xnabrasildev.blogspot.com (in portuguese, but I will start to post in english)One Winning Eleven to rule them all!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement