• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
supagu

volume lighting

This topic is 4063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a volumetric box im trying to add lighting to. Everything i try results in something going wrong. so im gonna explain what i think should be happening: im ray casting through my box, from back to front, doing n samples (lets call these b and f). for each sample i know its position inside the box, will call this p. I then ray cast from where p intersects the box towards the light (lets call this point l), doing m samples. Again for each sample between l and p i knows its position inside the box, will call this q so i do:
out colour = 0
out alpha = 0
blend alpha = 0

loop n times
{
  s = sample volume texture at p

BEGIN LIGHTING
  light density = 0

loop m times
  {
    t = sample volume texture at q
    light density += t.a
  }

s.rgb *= (1 - light density) * light colour

END LIGHTING

out colour += s.rgb * (1 - blend alpha)
  blend alpha += s.a
  out alpha += s.a * (1 - out alpha)
}

final pixel value = (out colour, out alpha)

final pixel gets blended to the screen using standard alpha blending. so im calulating lighting at the point p based on how much light should be able to get to that point by adding all density samples from l to p the light colour is multiplied with colour of the volume at point p

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!