Sign in to follow this  
ashkash

MIPS Assembly Help

I need some help using the MIPS ISA. Given a word I need to extract the four byte values that make up the word. For example, given .word 5 if I store the word in a register, $t1, I need to need perform some operation on this to get out the 4 bytes that make up the word as four byte values make up one word. My question is what instruction can I use to do this and how would I go about it. thanks.

First, a word only contains 2 bytes, at least on x86. I have to admit I know nothing about MIPS assembly, but in x86 you can use shifts to extract the individual bytes from a register. Or you could just read individual bytes from memory (again if possible in MIPS). And the forum has a policy against homework.

thanks for the response.

In MIPS, a word does has four bytes and not two. I guess I can use shifts to extract the bytes. I am not supposed to use the load byte instruction in MIPS so I guess shifts is an alternative. I was not trying to get my homework done through the forum. This is a small part of a project and I was stuck and just needed some help on how to go about extracting the bytes.

Use a bitmask.

Sounds like homework to me, but I don't see any harm in helping you find reading material. I just won't give you any MIPS code, just the hint that you can do it with a single immediate-mode instruction :>

EDIT: Oh, lol, you want each of the bytes. Hurr, that'll take more than one instruction :>

Thanks, I got how to extract the 4 bytes from a word using the srl and and instructions.

.data
start: .word 1568784958

.text
main: la $t1, start
lw $t2, 0($t1)
andi $t4, $t2, 255
srl $t2, $t2, 8
andi $t3, $t2, 255
srl $t2, $t2, 8
andi $t5, $t2, 255
srl $t2, $t2, 8

My final question is how would I go about packing 4 bytes into a word? thanks.

please ignore my last post. i got how to extract the 4 bytes from a word and how to repack them into a word. thanks for your help.