Sign in to follow this  
AndreiVictor

C++ : How do you pass the ... arguments to another function?

Hi Guys! I am really new to variable argument lists but have done some functions that use it. I just want to ask how to do this simple problem. Let's say for this exercise, I want to wrap the default snprintf of the API to a function called nSnprintf. How do you pass the contents of the ellipses to the real _snprintf function? I tried this and didn't work out:
int Kernel::nSnprintf( char * p_szBuffer, unsigned int p_nCount,
    const char * p_cszFormat, ... )
{
    va_list va_args;
    return _snprintf( p_szBuffer, p_nCount, p_cszFormat, va_args );
}

There's a way involving certain functions specially designed to take va_lists, but you shouldn't be taking advantage of it. This is C++. Variable argument lists are only around for compatibility with C, and there's a raft of good reasons not to write any new code with them, the primary one being that type safety is not preserved. I know they seem really awesome and convenient and flexible, but there are just too many gotchas.

As Sneftel said you shouldn't be using varargs in c++, you should use operator chaining instead, if the reason your using it is for format strings (i.e. you dont like iostreams and operator<<) then have a look at boost.format

I usually find it easiest to do the string expansion/formatting manually, then pass that on to printf. Make sure you don't just pass it straight to printf though, you have to do:
printf("%s", manuallyFormattedString);

Otherwise stray control characters in the manually formatted string can make printf think it needs to do additional formatting of it's own.

Quote:
Original post by AndreiVictor
Hi Guys! I am really new to variable argument lists but have done some functions that use it. I just want to ask how to do this simple problem. Let's say for this exercise, I want to wrap the default snprintf of the API to a function called nSnprintf. How do you pass the contents of the ellipses to the real _snprintf function?

I tried this and didn't work out:

{
va_list va_args;
return _snprintf( p_szBuffer, p_nCount, p_cszFormat, va_args );
}

Setting aside what Sneftel and Julian90 said about not using varargs in C++, and fleshing out further what grelle wrote...

The va_list variable should be initialized and deinitialized.

#include <stdarg.h>

{
int retval = 0;
va_list va_args;
va_start( va_args, p_cszFormat );
retval = _vsnprintf( p_szBuffer, p_nCount, p_cszFormat, va_args );
va_end(va_args);
return retval;
}