Terrain for beginners

Started by
9 comments, last by Knouen 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello. I've done a LITTLE C/C++ now and then, and recent activities have prompted me to investigate game development. I also did a tiny bit of OpenGL ages ago, so I'll start with that. However, I was wondering about terrain... I've seen the articles discussing various terrain generation methods by themselves. I'm wondering about a comparison of various methods. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the various methods? What is each best used for? Thanks.
- "My lack of knowledge and skills is irrelevant! I've been a member of forum X longer than you; therefore, by the almighty rules of Netiquette, I dub thee NOOB!" - Forum Weeny (you know who you are).
Advertisement
I figured maybe something like:

For type of game/design X, use:
- Method A: strengths, weaknesses, link to tutorial.
- Method B: strengths, weaknesses, link to tutorial.

For type of game/design Y, use:
- Method C: strengths, weaknesses, link to tutorial.
- Method D: strengths, weaknesses, link to tutorial.

Could be useful.
- "My lack of knowledge and skills is irrelevant! I've been a member of forum X longer than you; therefore, by the almighty rules of Netiquette, I dub thee NOOB!" - Forum Weeny (you know who you are).
Bueller?
Google?
Quote:Original post by Dancin_Fool

Google?

With one word you've negated the entire purpose of the forum. Impressive.
Quote:Original post by Knouen
Quote:Original post by Dancin_Fool

Google?

With one word you've negated the entire purpose of the forum. Impressive.

The people on the forum tend to be more helpful towards people who have a specific question that they are having difficulty answering themselves; even opinions are freely offered, but you seem to be asking for someone to take the time to compile a small report for you.

Being a nice guy, I will go so far as to recommend some reading material for you.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Actually I've done some research. I'm interested in the opinions of actual game developers regarding the best uses of various methods. Thus the thread. Now if you folks have nothing useful to contribute...
If you want the opinion of game professional, you should have said so. Right now, what it looks like is that you have not done your research and want it done for you. Don't get me wrong, I know you actually said that you've read some articles, but the impression most folks get when they read your post is that your research is lacking. Especially by the fact that you request a very demanding answer, while providing too little information to be worked on.

I think that the problem is that you are asking for something too especific. Even if I try to answer your question, I have no experience with terrain other than using a heightmap, I have never concluded any game with a heigthmap, and I'm in no means qualified for telling you the strenghts or weaknesses. I could link you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightmap though. Game Tutorials (www.gametutorials.com) also had some nice material, but it isn't free anymore (well, you can still give it a try if you want).

Anyway, google is still your best friend, and maybe it's better if you ask especific questions about what you want - that will give you better results, people are more used to work that way.
Hello.

I've done a LITTLE C/C++ now and then, and recent activities have prompted me to investigate game development. I also did a tiny bit of OpenGL ages ago, so I'll start with that.

However, I was wondering about terrain... I've seen the articles discussing various terrain generation methods by themselves. I'm wondering about a comparison of various methods. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the various methods? What is each best used for?

Thanks.

However, I was wondering about terrain... I've seen the articles discussing various terrain generation methods by themselves. I'm wondering about a comparison of various methods. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the various methods? What is each best used for?

Terrain generation or terrain rendering?

Generation usually applies to either artists and designers who model the world, or within the scope of procedural generation, discussing various methods for calculating renderable primitives.

Terrain rendering is a different subject, which needs to take into consideration the needs of game, hardware, and other features, and adapt them for real-time use.

Could you list the articles you've read and methods you've studied, so that we at least know which direction to go into?

Right now, the question sounds like: "Could you compare mathematical functions and their strengths and weaknesses" - this is why nobody can anwer anything useful.

Heightmaps on their own could fill books. And they are just the most trivial.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement