Sign in to follow this  
ed209

Whats the easiest sports game to program?

I would have to say basketball, but I guess it has more to do with how complex you want the game to be.

Depends what you're going to allow under "sports games". Something like Track and Field would be quite easy as each event is simple and self-contained. The difficulty with team-based games like basketball come from the interaction between opposing players (like jockying for possition, tackling, etc). Something like cricket or baseball where the interactions are much more limited would probably be easier (although the crazy scoring system behind cricket and baseball don't help much [grin]).

Hmmm...I unno. Sports games are pretty complex.

I'd have to say...Baseball. Just by thinking on it for about 5 minutes I have a few code design ideas on how I could do stuff...so maybe after thinking on it for a couple of months then I would have a full code design and it would be a lot easier also. Also, is this going to be Simulated or Arcade? I find Simulation a lot harder to program.

That's just my 2 cents though...

Chad

Quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
(although the crazy scoring system behind cricket and baseball don't help much [grin]).
There's a crazy scoring system in baseball? Your team gets one point for every man who runs home.

I think Table Tennis is a pretty good candidate for the easiest sport to program. 100 meters running should be even easier...

Quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
(although the crazy scoring system behind cricket and baseball don't help much [grin]).

Wow. I find baseball to be the hardest. I mean you have to calculate where the ball is hit to, which depends on where on the bat the ball hit and the velocity of the pitch.

Depends on what you want to simulate. If it's the actual playing of the game you want, then tennis (or squash) are probably the simplest to start with.

If you want to simulate sports management, then consider this: one of Eidos' most successful games was the "Championship Manager" series. These games contained all of one moving graphic -- the mouse pointer -- and were basically just glorified databases.