Sign in to follow this  
Wush

Mmorpg focused: Making an idea and concept compendium?

Over the years there were many inspirations, ideas and good theoretical approaches in this forum that I enjoyed to read, however like with every forum these ideas are spreaded, unorganized,uncondensed and despite search engines hard to find. So would it not be beneficial to have a clean and organized representation of these ideas, which would also prevent unnecessary repetition. I am talking about something like a theoretical and pure approach here the use of treestructures and linklists etc. For example: The priority an mmorpg has is based on the tastes its build to satisfy, the ways its intended to give fun. So why not list list these ways: Challenge, social interaction, sense of achievement,apprehension of beauty etc Then for example subpoint for challenge(solving a problem) are diversity/variation,difficulty,frequency of problems/encounters etc and these subpoints finally are the categories ideas and concept for solutions would be collected in as well as links to discussion and papers related to the category, which conbtend would slowly be condensed and then posted under the category. So would anyone be interested in trying this bottom up approach with me? What do you suggest, would be the appropriate medium for this compendium a forum, wikipedia,a programm or a specificially organised website? What do you propose for the intern organization structure of this project? [Edited by - Wush on June 2, 2007 3:03:48 PM]

I had spent a couple of years collating stuff on the forums here into an Ideas Document that became a website. I recently wikified the website (very poorly, it isn't a real wiki in its current state, it's just the old stuff pasted into a wiki) and asked people if they wanted to join in contributing to it.

I very quickly ran out of time with Uniwork, Mortgages, Work, Projects, the usual. There was almost no response to my original request, so nothing has changed.

The website is at FutureOfRPGs.com if anybody is interested. Just send through an email to the address there and I will create an account.

Cheers, Chris.

Along those same lines...

• Mu's Unbelievably Long and Disjointed Ramblings About RPG Design

and an oldie-but-goodie...

• Players Who Suit MUDs

Anyway, sure I think it's a good idea but I imagine it would be a significant chore to organize. A wiki would be good, but someone (you) would have to sift through and organize the clutter, culling/combining similar ideas, moving misplaced items to an appropriate category, etc. That's assuming it gets enough input at all, of course. Many of these kinds of things just seem to wither on the vine with nobody adding to them.

Sorry if I didn't offer any actual solutions here [depressed] ...